Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Workbench height, window size

Window size and workbench height are more related than it seemed at first.  Window is planned to be immediately above workbench, starting probably a few inches higher.

35 inches seems like comfortable workbench height for me, based on kitchen countertop I like to work on (countertop is actually 36 inches, but could be an inch lower for greater comfort).  This is a couple inches above my wrist (somehow 33 inches just seems too low).

Window should start 4-5 inches higher, at say 39 inches.

Maximum wall height is 108 inches (9 feet), so absolute maximum (and tacky) height would be 69 inches.  72 is totally impossible.

Much more comfortable down around 52-60 inches.  A 52 inch high single hung window would move up about 26 inches, requiring me to reach to 64 inches across table.  My height is 66.5 inches.  I wouldn't be able to move anything higher than that.

So for single hung, 52 is about the optimal height.  This is making me think casement might not be such a bad idea either.

Width, 32-36 inch range is OK.  Seems my home windows are 34, though most popular width at Lowes is 36.  My only concern about going from 34 to 36 (or 38, the #1 bestseller at Lowes.com) is that the window might be more inclined to stick eventually.  36 is getting max width while playing it safe.

Answer: 36 x 52.  Window then reaches maximum height of 52+39 = 91 inches...plenty high!

34 x 48 would work also.  Anything shorter or narrower than that is not optimal.

No comments:

Post a Comment