Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Prevailing winds and casement window

One of the advantages of a casement window is that when there is a narrow airspace outside the window, the casement window, if oriented properly, can "scoop" air into the room.

This is also a disadvantage if the casement window frame isn't strong enough, a wind gust can break the frame.  (I think Fleetwood aluminum windows are strong enough to stand up to a fairly good breeze, but I'd be worried about vinyl casement windows.)

Well, according to this chart of annual prevailing winds in San Antonio, a west hinged casement window on the north side of pool house which is on the east side of my house wouldn't be doing much scooping, FWIW.  A single hung window facing north would do about as well (or badly).  To really get the breezes, a southern window would do best, however I don't want that for heat considerations and it would facing my 6' fencecrete wall anyway.

Anyway, due to current uncertainties about this project, especially related to my contractor, I'm cutting phase II* costs in case there are unrecoverable losses and I have to start over with someone else, as nearly unthinkable as that would be. 1 day of work and 3 days of disconnected phone this past week made me very worried.  No matter what losses are faced, I want to be able to finish this project this year somehow.  That was one more reason why the brick upgrade had to go.  Certainly if I had to take a $5100 loss, I'd never be able to afford brick.  Also the delay in getting a window ordered might also be detrimental to the completion of the project.  So I'm going to stick with a window in stock at local store.  The HR Low E insulated glass aluminum windows at Home Depot looked to me like the best of such, and I think they had the size I wanted (36" wide by 48" high) for single hung also.

(phase I: pouring of slab, phase II: building shell, phase III: building interior)


Actually a sliding window at 3x3

2 comments:

  1. If you have to start over in the fall, I'd recommend my builder. The only problem might be that he is headquartered in Kerrville, making a trip to your place pretty long. However, he wouldn't need his crew to make very many trips! They work fast and hard and good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie. That is certainly what what I would do, though I hope it won't be necessary.

    I did in fact ask Ronnie on Saturday if I could cancel project with him, and as could be imagined, he wasn't hearing any of it, and I doubt I could get any kind of refund on the $5100 in deposits already made.

    ReplyDelete