Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Vent Openings

Along with my original no-air-conditioning plan was another plan to have two electrically controlled outside air exchange ducts.  One at ceiling level (the ceiling will be fully insulated) and one at floor level.  Depending on temperature, I'd open one or the other and run the appropriate small fan (all from solar power, with remote control from the house).  These would have a ventilation and a slight cooling or warming effect when needed.  For example, on winter days, I'd open the lower duct and bring in warmer air at around 3pm, assuming it was actually warmer outside.  During summer, I'd open the upper duct for exhaust, the lower one for intake, and run in the cool of night to blow out daytime heat.

Well unfortunately the electronically controlled dampers are just plain expensive at $150 apiece.  I can get a 8000 BTU air conditioner for that much.

So I don't know what I'll do now.

What worries me about a window air conditioner is that if it's not operating, it probably leaks heat or cool.  I'm wondering if I can get the U factor for a disconnected window air conditioning unit.  Most of the time, it's going to be disconnected, it will just be operated when someone is going inside.

Or perhaps I'll operate it on a timer every day from surplus solar power, to keep the inside just a bit more moderate.

A fancy enough window A/C unit might do the sort of intake/exhaust I was planning to do with remote controlled ducts and fans, and might even be cheaper than the ducts and fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment