Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, June 24, 2011

The unconditioned Whenever Room

I still like the idea of not doing A/C.  This room is mainly for storage, but also for human relaxation, jacuzzi changing, small scale tinkering, get away from the other person, etc., typically in the evenings.  I doesn't have to be air conditioned because it doesn't really have to be occupied: I already have fully air conditioned house and reasonably temperate garage.  The garage already has a workbench table, and I have no problem using it whenever it's not raining.  But it might be nicer, sometimes, to use workbench table in the Pool House.

So one way of thinking about this room is that it's the Whenever room.  It's there for use Whenever, as in Whenever it's OK.  Whenever it's not OK, go somewhere else.  But I'm always amazed at how pleasant it is even on hot day when you are in the shade.  And this shade will be insulated shade with radiant barrier (unlike plain metal patio roof, which actually re-radiates infrared, so you're actually getting less shade than you think).  There should be reasonable (though not optimal) ventilation through medium casement window on north side and double french doors with screen on east side.

I have friends who do hiking and play tennis in 100 degree heat *and* sunshine.

Through-wall hole for air conditioning could always be added later if I change my mind.  Now if I had some fairly positive idea I *might* want to add A/C in the future, it might be good to be prepared, such as having the framing done, a cutout through the sheetrock, and even (possibly) a trimmed and sealed cutout on the exterior.  That could save a few more bucks in the future at the expense of small bucks now.  It could also reduce the worry about cutting through fiber cement siding in situ (though I'm not sure that's how it would be done anyway).  Possibly the best approach would be to remove a fiber cement panel, cut the hole and do framing, then re-install the panel with proper flashing, sealing and repainting.  The in situ cutting worries me as it could be spreading silica all over.

But since I really can't foresee the circumstances under which I might want to add A/C, I think I'm better off not doing the prep work, especially making the cutout in exterior wall.  Though I will ask builder about this.  He'll probably say it's easy either way, just a little flashing and trim will cover up the hole until it needs to be used.

Anyway, the hole for the most applicable unit, the 5500 BTU Friedrich XQ05M10, the industry's smallest slide out chassis unit, would be:

20" wide
14 1/4" tall

For the through-wall Friedrich models (min 8000 btu), the finished dimensions are

26 1/8 " wide
15 3/4" high

No comments:

Post a Comment