Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Slab forms moved, but doesn't look as good now



On Tuesday morning Ronnie and associate moved the slab forms back to comply with the easement.  On Monday he had suggested 18" back (from 11 feet to 12.5, the easement is 12).  Then on Tuesday he asked me what I wanted, I said anything from 18" to 3 feet back would be fine, whatever was best or most convenient.

He also brought in another truckload of base, filled in the back beam trenches with base, and spread more base around the front.  He compacted all the new base with hand tool.  The previous time he did the compacting he used a power tool.

Then he showed me his work.  I very much like the fact that the new forms are actually at 13 feet, well out of the way of the easement.  But I don't like the fact that he only used hand tool to do the compacting, and, frankly, the new form doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the first setup.  You can see air underneath and some of the boards are nailed a bit crooked.  I complained about that twice.  I should be more careful and respectful and only complain once.  Though I didn't make a stink about it, I just complained a couple of times that it didn't look as nice.  He said he would add the second board after digging the beams out.  That's funny because last time he put the boards in first (which looked perfect) and then started digging.

After all that, he requested another $1500 payment for all the slab upgrades (from the original 10x12 design with hardi plank, to the new industrial strength larger size 12.5 x 14'10" engineered for 9 foot brick siding) and for moving the slab.  I wrote him a check from my Discover card.

Funny he hasn't shown up this morning yet and it's 10:50am.

Current payments to Ronnie total $5100 plus $535.81 for the engineering (grand total $5635.81).

$2500 on May 6   (check # 6155)
$1100 on May 10 (check # 6156)
$1500 on June 7   (discover # 485)

Engineering was refunded to Ronnie (he gave  me invoice stamped payed from GE Reaves Engineering) on June 1 for $535.81 (check #6159).

1 comment:

  1. Ronnie has taken a lot of money for little work. Ipaid Miguel $5000 at the end of the first day of work, after much had been accomplished, and haven't given him anything since. Tomorrow I expect the studio to be finished and I'll pay him the rest, which will be a big check.

    ReplyDelete