Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Unfortunately, can't plant Mimosa, it's invasive

I would love to plant pretty little mimosa rosea in back yard to the north west of pool house, in the portion of my backyard that will remain after all construction projects are done (whenever that is, 2020?).

I have a mimosa, possibly rosea cultivar, planted in my front yard by previous home owner, and it's pretty, tall enough for significant shade and walking underneath, but not too tall to interfere with solar panels on roof (which I wouldn't put on that northeast side of roof anyway, but new planting site is in backyard, southwest side, prime solar location).

But unfortunately the Mimosa is classified as noxious and invasive.  Invasive isn't so much about one's own yard (it's easy to keep Mimosa under control here in Texas, you can pull sprouts out or mow 'em down, and the tree hardly makes it through summer anyway).  But the seeds can propagate through birds, water flow, etc., to places where they can out-compete native tree and shrub species.

So, sadly, I will have to pick out some other tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment