Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Too late to avoid heat, too late for perfection

One of my biggest concerns about this project has been pouring the concrete before the worst heat of summer.  I worried that summer heat might cause cracking and other imperfections in the slab.  I wanted the best slab possible.  That was why I put the project on hold 2 years ago, because I didn't think I could find a decent concrete contractor before summer heat kicked in.  Then it kicked in.

This year I started trying to contact Ronnie in April.  That seemed early enough.  It was May before he got back to me.  During May, planning took time, I upgraded from Hardipanel to brick, and then there was 2 weeks delay waiting for the slab engineering.  Ronnie had other projects too, which he doesn't talk about much.  Even after we got the engineering, progress has slow, and then there was a setback, about a week's worth of 3 hour every-other-days, after discovering the original layout encroached on the utility easement.

Well, it's too late to worry.  By Wednesday June 15, summer heat is already here.  On Monday a man in San Antonio died attempting to pour a concrete sidewalk in the hundred degree heat.

Waiting the heat out now would mean waiting until mid September.  I suspect that wouldn't work for Ronnie one bit, as it probably wouldn't work for any other contractor.  I won't even ask.  He might get a job somewhere else. I might never see him in September.

I can, however, suggest using 4500 psi concrete with 4.5 inch or greater slump.  I can suggest shading the slab (actually he did suggest that), pouring in early morning or late at night, and having way to keep top of slab in water.  If Ronnie thinks these are good ideas, since I suggest them, he will be happy to charge, and I will be happy to pay more money for the upgrades, as I already have for past upgrades.


I have never been concerned about the time this project takes per se.  I understand well the fundamental tradeoffs between time, quality, and money.  You can get 2, but not 3.  My main concern is quality, and my second concern is money.  Time is not an issue for me so I never ask Ronnie about time.  Time was only a factor because of the possibility of getting concrete poured before summer heat.  I hoped I could get better quality that way.  But now it's too late.  (Though still, as summer drags on, it will get hotter, so I do hope Ronnie can pour the slab before too long, so long as there are no shortcuts.)


And for me, the hardest part, is that I will simply have to live with imperfection.  Even the engineering report is full of disclaimers abour different kinds of cracks and imperfections which are "not structural".

So, life is full of imperfections.  If they get too bad, like a water leak into the building I can probably get them fixed.  Maybe I can get Ronnie to fix it free if it's his fault.  If they aren't too bad, like superficial cracks which are "not structural", I can live with them.  I must accept that nothing in life is perfect, even if you tried very hard to achieve perfection.

I shouldn't be worrying too much about this project.  It's supposed to be fun, and "not that important."  It's a very fancy building, fancier in some ways even then my house, but nothing is perfect.  Other things in life, like my health, my career, my friendships, and even my house and car, are far more important.  The pool house is a part of my estate which is deliberately NOT connected to my house so that it's less critical.  This was partly intended as learning exercise, an experiment to see if Ronnie and I can work together well enough to take on a more critical project, and also learning how I can work better with Ronnie or other contractor.  The next big construction project, the covered patio extending the length of my house, is far more critical precisely because it will have to be connected to my house.  (One lesson already learned, start planning in March instead of May, and plan to pour concrete in April instead of June.)

Yes I'm having a hard time not worrying about this too much, but I must, otherwise, it will drive me insane or ill from stress.  "Don't worry, be happy" goes the song, and that is what one must learn to do.  And no time better than the present.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard about the man in San Antonio who died while pouring concrete. Maybe you better be on the scene with lots of drinking water while Ronnie pours your foundation. Dying people are more serious a matter than minor imperfections in a slab. The worse thing that can happen when a slab is freshly poured is rain. It really ruins the surface. I don't think we have to worry about that though!

    ReplyDelete