Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Plan B

There's still hope that the current gap is merely temporary, my original contractor will be back on the job next week.

But if not, I may be facing a $5000 loss.  I can continue the project, but with some major cost reductions, like this:

1) Hardipanel instead of brick.
2) Uninsulated walls.
3) No interior sheetrock.
4) No upgraded ceiling sheetrock either.
5) No luxury Fleetwood casement window.  Standard aluminum Low-E single hung or sliding.*
6) Height reduced to 8 foot sidewalls.

I think that probably well exceeds $5000 in cost reduction.  It's gone from "the Brick Pool House" to "nice shed with hardipanel walls and french doors."  I can swallow my pride.  Perhaps the original plan was too over-the-top anyway.  My loss will have brought me back down to earth.

Things I don't want to give up are:

(1) the white metal roof with radiant barrier facing down
(2) Highly robust concrete foundation with truck delivered concrete, as engineered.
(3) French doors with integral mini-blinds
(4) Solar power
(5) Ridge vents, and side vents
(6) Loft, though height reduced to 5'9" min height below beams
(7) Workbench
(8) Insulated Low E window

In this Plan B, I might increase roof slope to get more interior and loft volume, now that it's open up to the rafters.  A 7/12 slope might be just the ticket (and more optimal for solar panels anyway).

The inherent ventilation means that this could be used even with ordinary batteries.  The design becomes just what one would do for regular "battery shack."  Actually still a rather upgraded battery shack.

*Though a casement window might still be nice, thermal break aluminum hardly needed in uninsulated building on north side; not much temperature differential to protect.

No comments:

Post a Comment