Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Status

It didn't go quite as planned.  I started (rather than finished) with the suggestion that we cancel this project now, then I'd take new estimates in September.  Ronnie nearly said that would be impossible.  About what I expected.

We then went down my list of issues, and Ronnie had an answer for every one.  He the forms will be corrected and finished and the beams correctly dug and rebar installed and inspected and certified, as already planned.  He said a cover will shield from sun during the day.  The pour will start at 6:30 and be done by 9:00 and finished before it gets hot at noon.  All I need to do is water it every day, once a day.  The slab will be done  really soon, he promised.  He said he could get 4500 psi if that's what I want, and it will be poured from truck, as we have always agreed.

We're planning a followup conversation on Monday at 9am.

My lady friend says not to pay any more money until we've got a concrete foundation.  I should have paid for that part in full by now, at $5100 plus engineering.

And I have now officially stated twice that it will use hardipanel, not brick.  I might like brick, but it is complicated and expensive and I'm very uncertain now that I would trust Ronnie to do brick, even though he says he could.  He did a fine job with hardipanel in the last project, so I hope he will do a fine job with hardipanel now, and, if not, it's not such a big deal to fix or change as brick would be.  To do brick, you have to be working with a mason you really trust, and every one of a myriad little details has to be done right the first time or you are looking at a mega expensive repair job.  Ronnie has always said he would prefer doing the job with hardipanel, so that's fine.  That's what he knows and likes.  I have insisted before that he use proper respirators and cutting tools to avoid silicosis.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the project is continuing although it won't be done in brick like you wanted.

    ReplyDelete