Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Which Bellwether?

It turns out the 60x32 and 60x30 Bellwether tubs from Kohler are quite different.  The 60x32, which came first, has a relatively small tub bottom because of the sloping front (about as sloped as the back, and requiring extra long tub filler) and the wide sides (my current tub was wide sides also, which I've gotten used to for my shampoo and conditioner bottles).  People complain about the small bottom length, not good for very tall people to take a bath.  I haven't seen complaints about the bottom being too narrow for comfortable showering, and it's still wider than my existing tub by almost 2 inches, so I suspect that's not really a problem, but I wonder.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0711021930074.html?18

http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/kohler-villager-k716-vs-kohler-bellwether-k838.48226/


The 60x30 has a large bottom because the front AND back are relatively straight up (like my current bathtub), and the sides are narrower.  That's great for showering, but it looks to me like the back would be about as uncomfortable as my current tub (you don't want to sit up).  For some reason, the water depth in the smaller model is also drastically reduced, from over 11 inches to 9 inches, just 1/2 inch more water depth than the Villager.  The water capacity is almost the same as the Villager, whereas the larger Bellwether holds 10 more gallons (despite the sloping front).

Why oh why couldn't Kohler fix the small bottom in the 60x32 Bellwether by making the front straight but keeping the nice curve in the back that was designed with a lumbar friendly curve?

All this made me take a second look at the Toto 1525, another 60x32 tub.  Although Toto doesn't give water depth or gallons, water depth is reportedly around 11 inches, about the same as the 60x32 Bellwether.  The front is not as sloped.  The back is more sloped than the front.  Overall this appears a better geometry than either Bellwether, though information and reviews are more limited.  The sides aren't as uniformly wide, with a tapering from front to back.  This also means the bathtub bottom is somewhat trapezoidal rather than rectangular.

I had still been leaning strongly toward the Bellwether 60x32 last night when I discovered all this, but now I wonder.

I got into my hallway bathtub (which might be an inch or two smaller) and there at least a foot of extra length beyond my feet when I was up against the back.  The combination of a straight up back and nothing to put your feet on makes it hard to stay upright with no water.  The flat floor measures about 40 inches (same as 60x32 Bellwhether, maybe my tub is even shorter).  With water, the problem is sliding down almost but not entirely flat.  So for me, a short 5'6" man, the 60x32 Bellwether would likely be plenty long, I might even be glad it's a bit shorter.  If I stretch out more flat than usual, then my feet will reach the front, and have leverage to push myself back up again.  So the shortness and curved front might actually be a feature for me.   However, people above 6 feet (about half of all men) might find it on the short side, and it would not be good for someone 6'7", who would need bended knees to sit in it.

I measured the width of the flat floor of the master bath, which might be an inch or two bigger than the hallway bath I actually shower in, and it seemed to be about 16"-18", or about two inches narrower than the Bellwhether.

So by comparison with my existing tubs, it looks like the 60x32 Bellwether will be a good fit for me if not for the tallest people.

The Bellwether is actually very much like the Tea for Two in having sloped front and back.  With some selection of tub fill and drain, you could sit in it either way (though it looks like the normal way would be most comfortable).  Sloped front and back makes it have an inner profile not unlike a bell.  Is that where the name Bellwether comes from?  Then it's also weird that the 60x30 Bellwether is a very different tub with straight sides and far less water depth.

It's a pity Ferguson didn't have a selection of Kohler tubs to look at.  I've heard about people checking out differ Kohler models at other Ferguson stores but not my local one.  They only had one rather large but unnamed Kohler tub on display.  It was large but didn't look like Tea for Two.  The point seemed to be simply to say "we sell Kohler tubs" rather than give you any useful information about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment