Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Marble shower at Carrillo Tile

I think it was Carillo tile that was recommended by my plumber.  Here's a nice colored ultra luxury bath and shower done in a amber brown marble tile.  I love the color of the tile.  I'm not sure I'd want actual marble tile…need to look into that.  I once lived in a San Francisco house with highly upgraded bath and kitchen (suitable for a then million dollar house) and it looked similar to the above.  I loved the look but hated the slippery marble floor.  My version might well have vinyl plank flooring.

[The link above does not apparently select the actual picture I'm talking about, which is in the middle row on the left.]

Photo at middle row on right is ugly, IMO.  But very interesting as it appears to be exactly the kind of space I have, and similar tub to what I'm getting.

There has been a strange bulge in the wall where existing bathtub is, removing about 4 inches from the wall.  I figured that if you ordered the larger tub from Ray Ellison Homes, the space would already be there, but if you ordered the smaller tub, they stub the wall slightly.  Well that could be taken out.  Unfortunately it appears there still isn't room for a 66 inch tub, and this is a load bearing wall, but I do have this extra space I think.

So that middle row on the right gives one suggestion, have a tile shelf just above the tub on that side.

My idea is different.  I want to have the wall rise from the edge of the tub up to 38 inches.  At 36 inches grab bars are installed.  The idea is to have them stand out as far as possible, and make up for the large front and back areas of the Bellwether 32" wide tub.

Then the above is a storage area.  Up there gets less spray, but easily in reach if you are standing up.  In fact, I could have the "shelf" even higher for convenience, or matching the tiling pattern, up to 45 inches.  42 may be about optimal.

Anyway, corresponding with that line the tile color changes around the tub from darker color around the tub (so as not to mismatch the lighter tub) then back to lighter tile above 42 inches, or whatever.

So I was thinking I could keep this same line at 42 inches going down the wall where the towel bars are.  I would run the darker colored tile up to 42 inches, then painted wall above that, or continue the same tile all the way.  The lesser tile might have better acoustical properties.

Anyway, I hate the color that blends with the tub as in the picture in the middle row on the right.

Much better the two tone approach.  If I had tile (not marble) I might have patterned tile just at the border of light and dark.  With the marble not, it looks like they use a rounded moulding which may also be marble of the lighter color.  The marble sure looks nice, I wonder about practicality.

(Crema Marfil Marble)

I like travertine colors but I don't like the look of unpolished travertine that I've seen elsewhere as having been fashionable.









No comments:

Post a Comment