Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Monday, September 22, 2014

Stereo in Queen's Room !!!



After months of work and delay, it's finally done.  The Queen's Room now has two wall mounted speakers which are now finally both hooked up to a small stereo amplifier connected to my whole house audio system.  The power amplifier and the Sonos zone player are tucked away on a shelf inside the little desk along the right wall.  This can play a world of music including over 2000 songs stored on my server, streaming music from Pandora and Rhapsody, and sources elsewhere in the house including two dedicated FM tuners in the living room, one permanently tuned to classical music KPAC.  One of the coolest thing that Sonos does is allow you to play music sources in other rooms.  My friend and I both love KPAC, KRTU, and KSYM.  The whole system is conveniently controlled with a dedicated Sonos controller in it's charging cradle on the desk, or by any smart phone.

It sounds wonderful!  My friend agrees.

 The Gallo A'Diva SE speakers have excellent clarity and decent bass (any bass at all is surprising for such tiny speakers).  As I was cleaning the room after wiring up the second speaker with flat adhesive wire (which took a very long day to install and now needs a bit of rework), I was listening to Steely Dan and digging it.  But then I played classical music from KPAC, and that's what these little speakers do best of all, they sound fabulous with classical music.

All sorts of detail work had to be done to make this right.  The flat speaker wire was particularly challenging.  At the bottom corner of the room the wire had to be folded just right.  I correctly folded it so that the wires in the top perfect lined up with those on the bottom.  That way they can't possibly short out, though I expect the design of the wire wouldn't permit that anyway.



It bothered me how the wires in the corner weren't being held flush to the wall, so I added a couple extra pieces of wire as reinforcement.  In the end, the corner is looking fairly neat

Flat Wire Corner with Reinforcement

Because I ran the flat wire just above the moulding, I needed to run the TV-Ethernet wire above that.  Everything is fine when the curtains are closed, but when the curtains are open, you can see the ethernet wire above the flat wire.  I think it looks OK with the curtains open or closed, and I hope my friend agrees.  Possibly I should have run the ethernet cable underneath the flat wire, but then I would have had difficulty keeping the flat wire straight.



No comments:

Post a Comment