Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, September 19, 2014

An edited memory about the Bellwether bathtub

Way back in the late middle 80's I was at an Amiga computer convention in a convention center in LA,  and as I was exiting, I passed another another convention related to home improvement.  There was a pretty lady standing next to an impressive looking bathtub.  I first just passed by, but then thought to myself, I'm not planning to buy a bathtub, but there is a pretty lady just standing there, so why don't I try to strike up a conversation.

So I came back and asked some questions.  I first said "Wow, that's a nice looking Jacuzzi" (falsely thinking all whirlpool baths were called Jacuzzi).

"Don't say that word to me," the lady said.  "I had one once and sold it as quickly as possible.  This here is a soaking bath.  A good soaking bath does everybody good.  Do you like bathing?"

OK, that's the part I remember for sure, or at least the first sentence.  I also do remember that the bathtub was sort of angular, and a light brown or beige color of some kind.  Used to white baths, the color and the angular look made it look cool and sexy.

I really don't remember anything else about the bath, certainly not the name, but from the details I do remember, it could very well have been a Kohler Bellwether.  The modern angular look is pure Bellwether, the original Bellwether's in the 32 inch width, not the glorified Villager called Bellwether in the 30 inch width that was introduced later.

So the rest of this story isn't from memory but imagination, I think, though something not unlike this could have happened.  And sometimes I think something like this did happen.

"Well I don't bathe much.  I take showers daily.  But I've heard a lot about bathing, I think it's a good idea, and I've always thought it would be nice to have a nice tub.  This tub looks nice, but is it really comfortable?"

"If you like to take showers, this is just the bathtub for you, since it is designed to be used as a shower also.  Of course it's comfortable.  Go ahead and sit in it, it's even more comfortable than it looks."

So I did get in it, and it was comfortable.  And this was cool.  But now I really was embarrassed because I really didn't intend to buy a bathtub.

"This is great!" I said, and started to get out.

"You won't find a more comfortable tub that can also be used as a shower.  Notice the curved front and back, just like a bell.  That's why it's called Bellwether.  And with a certain choice of accessories, you can sit against either the front or the back," she added.  "If you were taller than 6 feet, you would need to get the 6 foot size Bellwether.  Makes sense, right?  But for people like us, the 60 inch Bellwether like this one fits perfectly."

Now I was getting a bit nervous.  She was more friendly than I thought she would be.  "Thank you very much," I said, as I started to leave.

"Would you like to order one today?," she asked.

"No I can't do that."

"OK, then please take my card and call me when you are ready."

Did I just get the card of a pretty lady?  I felt a few seconds of elation, then realizing this was not a personal but a professional number.  I never called, but I never forgot that experience either.

No comments:

Post a Comment