Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday's accomplishments

I called irrigation company and asked about paying to have trees moved.  They promised to get back to me, and also set appointment for April 9 to reprogram system to meet new water saving rules.

I called the new contractor recommended by John Jones.  He will come out early next week to check out the wall I want rebuilt now from the hall side.  I had him really confused when I asked for double 3/4 sheetrock.  He said he could do 5/8 and I said that was good enough.  Of course, 5/8 is the upgrade thickness in drywall.  3/4 is an upgrade thickness for shelves, and I have recently had shelving on my mind.

I checked the polarity of the new dedicated AC outlet in the master bedroom.  I had asked that it match the phase of the other outlets in the room.  Every home has two opposite phases of 120V which make up the 220V supplied at the main panel.  Normally not much attention is paid to which circuit gets which phase.  But since the master bedroom will now have two circuits, and the wiring for my entertainment system is very complex, I feel it will keep things better to have both circuits with the same phase.  I forgot to tell John Jones about that on Wednesday until work on the circuit was nearly complete.  But we had previously discussed it a year ago when he added a new sub panel for Lyndhurst, so he left the correct slot open then.  When I mentioned this to John on Wednesday, he went outside for awhile, and came back, and we didn't talk about it any more.

So anyway, I very carefully checked the phase of the two circuits with my Fluke voltmeter on the 750V AC range.  There was no more than 0.1V difference between the hots of both circuits, which would be expected from loading and loss (actually I'd expect up to 3V from loss).  The new circuit is very direct and the old one wraps around 3 rooms.  If they had been the opposite phases, there would have been 220V difference.

BTW, the new dedicated outlet has made a huge improvement in A/V quality.  The music in the bedroom clearly has better pace and rhythm running on the dedicated circuit.  The fan sounds quieter, and the lights don't dim as much when I turn on the amplifier.  My house now has two dedicated A/V power circuits, and after I did the first one, I thought it was one of the best things I had ever done for sound quality.

But I need to get an isolation transformer for the composite video I am still sending from a computer on the old circuit.  Somehow I previously failed to notice the rolling bars on the TV when I play images from that computer.  There is, as should be expected, a slight ground difference between the two circuits.  The new one should have nearly perfect ground, the other one runs though about 50ft of romex.

I re-hooked up my Swann security camera with the new 50ft cable.  I had removed the 100ft cable on Wednesday in preparation for it being used with the new cameras that are going to be mounted on the south side.  I got one new 100ft cable, so in combination with my old 100ft cable I have two 100ft cables.  My existing camera could work with a 10 ft cable, but Swann doesn't sell the fire rated cables, which are also their nicest cables, in a 10ft length.  The cheapest fire rated cable I found online was 50ft, so I got a new 50ft cable to replace the old 100ft cable and free it up for the longer run.  I should have hooked up the 50ft cable immediately after removing the 100ft cable, but I was too stressed on Wednesday to do it.

Now that the maple closet shelf is centered, I don't think the gaps on either side are that large, about 1/8 inch on either side.  In any case, it appears that I could only have cut the shelf 3/8" larger to fit, and possibly not even that much, because it was very hard to maneuver the shelf into position since it is the width of the closet and the closet isn't entirely square.  The big gap is in the back of the closet above the shelf support there is about a 3/8 gap running along the back because the trim boards used are not quite straight and level.  For now I have put shims there, perhaps the new contractor could be persuaded to get this right.

I need to print out the info on Green Glue and Armstrong Flooring for the new contractor.

I measured the hallway.  It is very close to 18 feet long and 3 feet wide.  My raw measurement was originally 17' 7" but I didn't account for the doorway mouldings on either side.  Anyway, 18 ft can be used in computing quantity of flooring needed.  There is also a little segment on the bend that is about 20 inches wide and almost 5 feet long.  Counting that as 10sqft, the total square footage is 64, with the new wall running 18 linear feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment