Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

ADT Secures Lyndhurst

I called ADT on Tuesday and they made appointment from 11am to 1pm on Wednesday.  ADT truck pulled up at 12:30.  Job was done and paid for by 1:15.  ADT service has always been good but this is stellar.

Lyndhurst now has a wireless pet-immune motion detector.  The technician asked me if the name "storage room" was OK and I agreed, so that's what ADT knows this new zone as.  I've long since gone past the 8 light display on my control panels.  It's positioned to trip quickly upon entry through window or door.

A couple years ago I had 3 wireless motion detectors added to my system, so I already had the required receiver and zone extender.

First thing, however, and the reason for calling ADT yesterday was the new window in the Queen's Room was not hooked up to security.  The technician first suggested only securing the bottom section, otherwise he'd have to run a wire to the top.  I said I rather have good security and have the wire.  I asked if he had white wire and he said yes.

But for some reason when he got back from the truck, he decided to install a wireless switch instead, at no cost to me.  I agreed.  Probably nobody does wires as neatly as The phone company in the 1960's.  Those would just disappear.  And with a vinyl window...you can't use staples.  Good thing this was at no cost to me.  The total cost seemed amazingly low to me compared with earlier ADT upgrades.  If I had paid for the wireless switch as well as the wireless motion, it might have nearly doubled the charges, which in the past seemed more related to installation than part cost.

The technician very efficiently punched in numbers on my front panel to enable the two new sensors, and called ADT to register them.

He confirmed that I have the maintenance plan (I've been both on and off that, I might have gotten back on it when I installed the wireless motions a few years ago) and that if I needed the batteries changed, or any other service, I could just call.  He suggested changing all the batteries in my devices at that time.  I told him that the wireless motions were said to have 9 year battery life and he suggested probably more like 5.

Well, I kinda miss having an all wired system, though even all wired still requires main battery replacements every 7 years or so (I've done it twice).  Wireless seems to be becoming the norm, and you can see why when the alternative requires climbing into the attic to run wires.  But I can live with mass battery changing appt every 4-5 years.  There's even a question of how long my whole system is going to keep going, or when I'll have to replace the main DSC control board and panels.  ADT doesn't seem to be forcing the issue at all.  Eventually I'll probably have to or want to switch to a new system, probably which uses cellular rather than landline telephone.




No comments:

Post a Comment