Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, March 15, 2013

Cool discussion on toilets

Yes, I'm also a toilet geek.  I have been studying toilets for a few years now.  In the Hall Bath, I chose to use the well known American Standard Champion 4 for one reason: it flushes the most.  I have friends who push that capability to the limit and who have clogged my toilets twice.  After the second time my toilet was clogged, putting me into a cleanup nightmare for 3 days, I got the new toilet asap.  Then guess what.  Not long after that, and my friend used the toilet again, my drain pipes got clogged!  But that was because of roots, and the roots were cleared out, and the plants that were growing those roots removed.  I may eventually replace the main drain pipe.  I didn't do that last year as I wanted to install an irrigation system first, and I only got around to doing that in the second half of the year.  It is important that the soil moisture be stabilized because I have high clay soil.

American Standard claims 1000ml and I believe it.  Sorry to say, the Toto models I looked at were only rated to 800ml and independent tests I looked at confirmed that the Champion 4 flushed more better.  Once I found this information a couple years ago, it seemed that Toto was more interested in meeting the newest 1.3g standard in some places now than making a toilet that would actually flush more.  Where I live the standard is still 1.6g.  It has taken about 20 years of making 1.6g flushing toilets to get them them work properly, so I've heard.

For my own bathroom, I wouldn't necessarily mind getting a Toto, they are regarded by many as "the best" without qualification.  I haven't decided yet what to get.  But whatever I get, it is either going to have a built-in bidet-like device, or I will add a toilet seat that provides that capability.

Did I post here about the Clenessence bidet seat?   Clenessence was before Toto in making such a seat, and some think they did better.  The Clenessence seat has two wands, one for anus and one for female parts, each oriented at the correct position and angle (anus is nearly straight up).  Toto uses one wand to do both jobs, using different jets.  Toto also has at least one toilet sold in USA having built-in bidet seat and I'm not sure what principles it uses.

Anyway, I just saw this cool toilet discussion that covers many topics, including wall mounts (neat idea if you can do it, I wouldn't bother trying).

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/4682206/list/Meet-the-New-Super-Toilets

For me, this is probably actually more important than a fancy bath.  I use toilet more than most people, and I find I have to shower myself afterwards, at least twice a day.  As the discussion above gets to, people in USA have been slow to adopt bidets because we are a shower culture where people shower at least once and often several times a day.  Because we lack bidets.


No comments:

Post a Comment