Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, March 8, 2013

Floorplan like mine

Here is a "ranch, traditional" flooplan that is similar to mine, closest by far that I've seen yet.

http://www.homeplans.com/plan-detail/HOMEPW00367/three-bedroom-traditional

With 1159 soft, which is about 100sqft larger than my home was when built, it nevertheless has these issues compared with mine:

1) None of the rooms are especially larger.  Notably the small 10x10 bedroom is exactly the same as both of my original small bedrooms.  The 11x10 bedroom is the same as my new Queen's Room.  The so-called formal dining room is simply a slightly extended kitchen with island, and without the island it would actually have less counter space.

2) Bed cannot be arranged to look out window in ANY of the bedrooms, or at least if you do so in the master bedroom there is little space for night stand and you have to walk around bed to get at master bath.  The other bedrooms have a closet where the bed headboard should be.  My master bedroom never had that problem, and now my Queen's Room doesn't either.

3) If you put stereo around fireplace in living room, there is essentially no wall space for bookcase.  This is one of many drawbacks of the "open floorplan" type design.  I put my stereo around the fireplace and I still have 2 1/2 walls for bookcases, sofas, etc.

4) The staggered back wall of the house would not go with full length patio, etc., in the back yard.  My house has a flat back wall so the entire back could be patio/solarium/sunbathing space.

5) The dining room needlessly has bay window facing to the side of the house.  In most subdivisions, including mine, this means it simply stares at the next house which may be as little as ten feet away.  All that extra glazing has no good view and is energy inefficient.

6) Both bathrooms are minimal.  I have one long bathroom which has long counter (could have been double sinked).  I'm thinking I may use that space for a larger bathtub.

7) The master bed closet is actually smaller than mine.

8) The island is just another obstruction on the way to the refrigerator for me.

9) While I feel the glazing on the dining room is excessive with 3 windows and a sliding glass door, the living room only has one large window on one side.  While the side windows in my living room mainly just face the next house, they are close enough to the front that you also get some street views from them, depending on where you are in the living room.

By my standards, however, it's not terribly bad as compared with my original house, but except for kitchen-centric people, for which the larger kitchen+island+dining is a must, I greatly prefer my currently modified layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment