Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tuff Shed Construction Scheduled for July 30

I still really wanted to mow side lawn, at least, despite the backache I got yesterday from moving a mere 3 bags of topsoil (also, curling soaker hose around Catawba Crepe Myrtle, that may have actually done it as it's a tricky job that takes 20 minutes of bending down, you only think you're going to do it in 5).  So today I did get outside around noon, mowed south side yard meticulously, also took a few passes on main front lawn, notably behind tree where the better grass is but didn't get mowed two weeks ago.  Front lawn looks a bit like it got the Mohawk haircut, but at least the good grass is now cut.  I would have taken a few more passes, but there were dark clouds and thunder.  So I stopped around 1pm, by 1:30 there was a burst of rain (and more after I left home).

Note that despite wrapping the soaker hose yesterday, I didn't actually water the Catawba last night, as it felt damp, probably from the soaker hose testing.  But the Pink crepe myrtle base felt dry so got the usual soaking.  Soaked every day but still dry the next.  Funny how CPS says you may only need to water new trees once a week.

Anyway, today was an uncharacteristically early morning for me, but maybe I like this once and awhile.  I got up around 11am, with 7 hours sleep, I decided I would not go back to bed for the usual after-breakfast nap that takes 1-3 hours.  So after making some progress on lawn, there was also time to go down to Tuff Shed on the way to work and discuss with them the difficulties of my 2nd shed location, notably that it is right next to a fence, over an electric utility easement, and on a slope.

It seemed I had not recorded the Tuff Shed salesman's cell number on my phone, so I figured I'd just stop by on my way to work.  But as I was getting near to work, a huge burst of rain made me decide to go to work, call Tuff Shed from there, and then head out for Tuff Shed about 30 minutes later, which I did.  It was still raining heavily, though I saw even worse rain on the radar coming later, so I went.

Tuff Shed salesman not surprisingly was focused on the details of my shed rather than the location.  Finally I drew a picture and described the site problems.  He said as long as I could allow 18" from the fence, I was OK, and with 13 feet of clearance from building, that should be fine for a 6 foot building.   He also didn't think there would be any trouble with the easement or leveling, at worst I might be charged a leveling charge, the weight on the ground is evenly distributed and not a problem on top of easement, and the entire building can be rolled on PVC pipe if necessary.

He is coming out Friday for a site inspection, and construction has been scheduled for Monday July 30.  My plastic has been charged patriotically.

The new shed as now planned is 6x14, with door and two 2x3 windows on the long side facing toward the yard (not toward fence!).   Door in center and windows to either side like a doll house.  The windows will have windowboxes but no shutters (windows are already rather wide for the space available).  There will be two side vents near floor and 8 feet of ridge vent on top.  The shed itself has been upgraded to the top-of-the-line Premier Pro which comes with 7 foot sidewalls, 6 inch box eaves (very nice for appearance and rain deflection), lifetime shingles, radiant barrier, and 10 year warranty.  I had previously panned on Premier Tall, this is slightly shorter but tall enough, and only $80 or so extra, well worth it for the nicer eaves which will more closely match Lyndhurst.  The Shasta White is called Siesta Grey in the lifetime shingles, but same color, as light as it gets for asphalt shingles, if not as white as I would like.  (One reason I got actual white metal roof for Lyndhurst.)

The rear neighbor will mainly see 2.5 feet of roof over the fence and slightly behind. It will blend into Lyndhurst and maybe even look like a quirky interesting part of it: Lyndhurst towers 12 feet above higher ground, the new shed roof will be a break between fence and Lyndhurst in the back neighbor's view.  The siding will also rise about 1 foot from wall, but will be mostly hidden under the roof.  I think this does not detract from his view significantly, might even be considered an improvement.  The trees I am adding, as well as Lyndhurst itself, is a big improvement.  And did I mention I payed 8 thousand dollars for my fancy Wood Look concrete Fencecrete fence which continues to look perfect 5 years after construction?  I did not ask any of my neighbors to chip in on that, and they all like it, so I don't think any are going to complain about my other construction projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment