Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Daily Watering

Since it rained very intensely on Sunday evening, I did not water my new trees on Monday.  But on Tuesday, I had to decide, do I water today, for a daily watering schedule, or something else.

According to an authoritative looking website, new trees can be watered 2-3 times a week, under some circumstances, and that is ok, but truly vigorous establishment requires daily watering.  Daily!  The recommended amount is 2-3 gallons for 1" trees and 3-4" gallons for 2" trees.

Both of my new crepe myrtles have 3 one inch main branches.  Therefore, 4 gallons would be about right.

I watered the tree next to Lyndhurst with 5 gallons, to allow for water seeping directly through ground, then I watered the area underneath the pot with hose on shower.  I watered the other tree with 3 gallons, and then watered the area, which includes the root ball itself because that tree was removed from its container pot.

I just ordered 6 Tree IV root watering systems.  They are spoken very highly of in this blog.

I am planning on having arborist out to trim the neighbors tree and also determine if my tree installations are OK.

I am also still planning to have sprinkler people out, and I could be persuaded to install a full or half yard automatic system with additional drip line for trees and other special plants.

I saw a small number of black ants on the crepe myrtle next to my patio.

No comments:

Post a Comment