Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Monday, July 16, 2012

New Tree, more thinking

Monterey Oak.  That's what I have now chosen to be the central tree in my back yard.  I picked out a beautiful on a Rainbow Gardens on Saturday July 14.  They will be delivering and installing it on Monday July 21 at 9am.  A friend has one in her back yard and it is wonderful.

Meanwhile, more thinking about hedge plants, "concept line", and 2nd shed.

Ligustrum is out, that is on many invasive lists.  Photinias are downgraded, sometimes (but not much) said to be invasive, but also have common fungus problem, don't live long.

So why not, I thought to myself, have more trees like Crepe Myrtle?  Along the same lines, Wax Myrtle (but rather tallish), Wild Olive (tallish), and Pomogranite.

Professional lanscapers use a variety of plants, irregularly spaced, to look natural.  They draw a "concept line" around the grass area for perimeter plants and accessories such as a pergola.

So that's what I need to do: pick out a bunch of plants and trees.  Viburnum is still in for the shadier spots near the neighbor's house on the south side..

But then I decided to reopen the 2nd shed issue.  I had been planning on something either 7x7 or 4x7 and tucked behind Lyndhurst.  Big enough for a few garden tools and lawn mower.

But that is a very bad location, very sloped.  I fear that having shed there, since it would somewhat hide the power company transformer, could get complaints from the power company.

I initially decided on a new location at the NW corner of my lot.  That way I could have any size second shed I wanted.  The ground is level, grass doesn't grow well there.   I looked at 8x11 and 8x15 sheds by Lifetime made of polyethylene resin.

Problem with those sheds, however, is that they do not include a floor.  You are one your own to build a floor out of wood or concrete.  Also, you are on your own to build the shed in the first place.  And the Lifetime sheds are not cheap.

For just a little more, in fact, I could get a fully assembled wood shed from Tough Shed with a galvanized steel foundation.  Well, it depends on which ones you are comparing.  After a few minutes of looking at Tough Shed sheds, I started upgrading my expectations to the Tall Premier Garden Shed, which is just a bit more expensive still.

Then it further occurred to me that if I put the shed behind Lyndhurst at the fence line, but sticking past Lyndhurst, it could provide a privacy wall just as good as a hedge of trees, but without waiting for years for the trees to fill in.  And that is one of the key spots.  That section of the back fence has a view of two neighbors, particularly the one on the SW corner, and all the way out to the next street.


With a long narrow shed along the fence I could block 12 linear feet of that view, and that is what it requires, because as you walk across the yard the angle changes.

The already shaded spot at the NW corner I'd always thought would look nice with a pergola, small patio, fountain, statue, or something like that.  It would be a shame to waste that highly visible location with a shed.

So I've been thinking about having a 6x12 shed in the Tall Premier Garden Shed series.  That will have a reasonably tall roof (reaching 9'2" or 110") at the peak, and therefore do an excellent job of blocking the undesired view.  Plus the Tall Premier Garden Shed has very desireable upgrades, such as galvanized steel foundation (instead of wood) and radiant barrier in the ceiling, and it can have a full size door opening on the side facing into the central area of my back yard.

(I have now ordered the shed with all options I want at Tuff Shed.)

It might be nice to have wider than 6 feet, but it's tough to do that there.  There is a total of 13 feet between Lyndhurst and the wall at the boundary of my property.  If I get an 8 foot shed, that leaves a mere 5 feet, and since it might be necessary to have the shed 6 inches or so from the wall, we're down to 4 feet and change.  That makes for a narrow passage, the very kind that I worried the power company might not like.

I'm thinking I really need to decide on this before the plant and sprinkler installation. It might be best to have it actually installed.

I may be pushing some limit here with 2 sheds on my property.  The new one will be visible to backyard neighbors as well as barely visible to the street beyond.  I don't think it changes their view enough to worry about.  Also since I plan to have this shed over the easement, it cannot be a permanent structure.  With the standard steel foundation, I think I am OK on that, what I will have is a moveable structure.  Finally, I could be violating some kind of setback, but I don't think there is one on the back property line.  I often see houses with a shed (or sheds!) on the back property line.

It also might look a bit clunky.  It would be nice if I could get the shed also with a white metal roof, and identically colored paint to Lyndhurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment