Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Adams Patio Chase Lounge Chairs

The patio chase lounge chairs that were so hard to find I looked in stores and online for a week and finally just bought the dirty ones I first saw at Lowes.  Here are the details from the UPC sticker (which I'd like to clean off soon):

Adams
Made in USA
250 lbs maximum
made with resin, 100% recyclable
252662
LBUE-8010WHT00
Bar code: 0 37063 10447

After just one sit, my feeling is I'm glad I didn't pay more than $49.95 for each chair.  The resin is flexible enough to make you worry a bit but not flexible enough to feel really comfortable.  The back is lacking in lumbar support, as with a lot of chairs it actually curves in the wrong direction.  It's very uncomfortable if you arch your back over the hinge point, much better if you slide as far back into the chair as you can.  Then it's marginally OK, but would be better with a lumbar pad.  I have many lumbar pads in my junk pile house to choose from.

Still, the chairs are tolerable and pretty and just having them in the back yard makes it feel like you are ready to have a party.

My family had Jelly Bean type metal framed plastic chase lounge chairs around our pool for awhile when I was growing up.  They looked nice the first year, then the jelly plastic starting looking scorched, ultimately became very black and ugly.  Of course that was 40 years ago, possibly the PVC plasticizers they use are better now.  Or considering that these are the lowest cost chairs now made in China, perhaps not.  The jelly plastic never inspired confidence, and now that I weigh over 200 pounds I'd be very worried.

The most expensive chairs require thick foam pads which have to be religiously put away after each use or will go bad quickly.  I think it's nice to have cheap chairs that can be just there, whenever you want them, without requiring preparation and putting away.

(Some foam pads do say they are weatherproof.  I haven't tried outdoor foam pads since the 1960's.)

The Adams Chase Lounge is available at Ace Hardware!  It gets good reviews, though some note the seeming flimsiness.  One person says they made it better, heavier and more solid feeling, about 15 years ago, and he'd gladly pay $20 more to get one like that.  Another person notes that these chairs are becoming nearly impossible to find in stores.



No comments:

Post a Comment