Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Queen's Room Painting Elected and Moulding Selected

Rob presented an estimate for painting the room, and I decided to accept.  I don't relish the idea of getting on a ladder to paint the ceiling, and now it's clear that has to be done also.  Painting the room would add an unknown amount of delay to the project, and there are several more phases to go through (floor, new electrical, new furnishing) before it is really habitable.  A professional job will be done well, done soon, and I can move on to the remaining projects.  Rob also seems to do work quite well.

Speaking of which, my friend today said she can't move over until her kid finishes 2 years of college.  And she was not promising to move over then either, she made a trip back from gardening in the front year just to emphasize that point, that she is not promising to move over even next summer.

Along with the painting, Rob said he might have trouble matching the existing moulding, and asked if it was OK to replace it with another moulding.  I wouldn't have thought it a trouble for the new moulding (where the closet used to be, and where the next headboard will go) didn't match perfectly.  But I liked the suggestion of replacing all the moulding.  I promised to get some new moulding.

I asked my friend what kind of moulding she would like.   I seem to recall in the past that she didn't like the existing moulding, but she has gotten very frugally minded recently, and said something very simple, like the existing molding (a 1" wedge) would be OK.  She liked the idea of Shaker simplicity she said.

I looked at all the mouldings at Lowes, and decided I liked the Colonial style the best.  It's not overly ornate in my opinion, but I think it has nice curves.  It is more than 2" high, like quality mouldings.  Each 7 foot piece cost $15 and I bought 10 of them for the whole room and possibly over the closet (though actually something else might be needed for that, so I might have to return some of the moulding pieces).

I picked out the best pieces, but it was difficult as I was getting to the back of the bin with a lot of warped and chipped pieces.

The cashier at lowes seeing my truck loaded with mouldings cracked "That looks like a million bucks."  I replied "Just about."

I wonder if I'll be able to avoid telling my friend what they cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment