Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Doorbell transformer in Queen's Room

The doorbell transformer is in the current Queen's room closet, the closet scheduled for demolition.  My friend suggested putting a cover on it.  But I find that it makes far too much noise for me to be comfortable sleeping in this room, particularly when the closet is removed.  It makes a hum: a very tonal noise, measuring around 22dB.  Even if I could cover it, it would be hard to cover up such a sound, and actually, it appears the electrical code requires doorbell transformers to be in free air.  Usually sensible builders put them in the garage or in the laundry room above the interior sub panel.  But I can see why my home's builder put the transformer in the kid's bedroom closet: because they could save a few feet of wire that way.  Even if this were a closet, I think this is a terrible design.

I could get a quieter transformer, such as this nice looking one from Craftmade.http://www.amazon.com/Craftmade-T1630-Transformer/dp/B001R5UU0W/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1359793416&sr=1-5&keywords=doorbell+transformer.

But in my experience, no mater how hard you try to make such things quiet, there's always a bit more noise.  And a doorbell transformer hanging out above the Queen's bed, with no cover?  That's purely unacceptable in my view.  It would be ugly and someone could hit it by accident.  BTW it has exposed wire terminals but those are low voltage.

So, the doorbell will go.  I can't remember one of my friends EVER using it anyway.  The button is in a poor position on the left side of the door.  Only church proseletyzers ever use it, as one did this morning.

In theory, I could have an electrician relocate the doorbell transformer to the laundry room, where it should be.  Or, maybe even better would be to just get a new wireless doorbell, whose button could be placed more conveniently and conspicuously on the right side of the door.

But for how little it actually gets used, as in not at all, I think I'll just get rid of it.  As soon as I can safely figure out how to shut off the power to it, I'll remove both the transformer and the outside doorbell button.  I tried several convenient circuit breakers but it appears it may be on the master bedroom circuit that will require special preparation before being shut down.

No comments:

Post a Comment