Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Ceiling Fan Bracket

A couple of weeks ago I finally took my new Hunter fan out of the box.  It turns out this is a "Type 2" Hunter fan, not the original "Type 1".  It doesn't hang from a mounting bar like the "Type 1" fans.  It has a flat plate that connects to the electrical box, extending slightly out beyond it, with 4 vinyl pads that contact the actual ceiling sheetrock.

As I explained before, it is assumed that the fan might rock or move a bit.  The fan mounting plate transfers some of this force and vibration directly to the ceiling sheetrock via the 4 vinyl pads.

I'm no more fond of this than the original design in which the circular ceiling cover was the part of the fan allowed to rock against the ceiling.

Worse, the 4 vinyl pads have a particular smell that I've noticed before on cheap Chinese manufactured goods (bads).  They have a chemical smell somewhat like diesel fuel.

I plan to wash the pads off in a multi stage process.  First, use Q-tips dipped in alcohol.  Then soap and water.  Then leave out in the sun for several days.

I personally think it would be better to have much larger cushion.  Urethane foam might be nice, but it is highly toxic if burned, and tends to disintegrate over a decade or so.

I've just been too busy recently to get started on this.  Last weekend was devoted to clearing out the weeds and tall grass in front and back of my house.  At least the front yard got fully snapped into shape, I ran out of trimmer string for the back yard.  I also finally folded up and put away the canopy cover (that had originally been used to protect the concrete slab from intense summer sunshine and heat) that had sitting on the north side of the back yard since it was moved off the concrete slab in October prior to beginning contractor interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment