Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April 18, Electrical finish

Weeks, months of preparation, and here it is.  My preferred electrician, John Jones, called around 8:30, arrived around 9:40, and at 11am is busy at work installing electrical outlets and switches.

Monday night I hurredly washed off all the small parts for the Hunter fan that were smelly.  They were in small plastic bags, and included bolts, screws, and grommets.  I first washed them in alcohol, everclear.  The everclear quickly got a charcoal tint, and after some rinsing, was flushed down the drain.  Then the parts were washed off in gallons of plain water, then individually hand dried with paper towel, then allowed to dry.

I did this all because Tuesday was the last full day of sunshine, for giving the smelly parts the sun treatment, which is about the best thing.  Or at least it makes them seem to smell better, the smell having been baked off, and hopefully not just transmuted into even more toxic chemicals.  I had hoped to do this earlier, but the weekend was plagued by rain forecasts without the rain actually showing up.

Add to this, I had to get to work at special early time for a photograph.  So Tuesday was a very complicated day, putting the parts out in the sunshine before racing to work, coming back home after 4 hours for a nap and dinner, then taking the parts back inside, then going back to work, then to store on way home just before 1am (my cupboards were bare), then back home, and to bed by 3:30am expecting call from electrician at 8:30am.

Actually, one more thing, on the way back to work the second time Tuesday I stopped at Lowes to see if they had identical grommits that wouldn't have any smell.  I didn't see any grommets that looked like the ones that came with the fan.  I decided not to bother with Home Depot thinking this was probably a custom part I wouldn't find there either.  So I checked out some fast food places in the strip mall, feeling strangely hungry again after two Healthy Choice dinners, but one had a pair of police cars in front and the other had gone out of business, so I just ate nuts when I got back to my office.  But driving there, cars in the left lane wouldn't let me in, so I had to drive an extra mile and loop back around to get to the night entrance.  But the worst trip was from home to Lowes (near work) because the sun was was setting  during the last 10 minutes of the drive.  It was especially bad just as I needed to change lanes.  I had to miss my exit so I could wait until I could see safely enough to change lanes.  Then I was able to exit and took a detour on surface streets.  That added another 15 minutes.  All this happens when you're trying to do many things in limited time.

Anyway here I am, work is in progress, and I'm thinking I could do some mortite sealing around the AC before it gets too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment