Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, March 30, 2012

Duct Seal Finally Obtained On Second Visit to Lowes

The Lowes website said that the store closest my office had 13 packages of Duct Seal.  So I wandered down there after dinner on Wednesday and spent 45 minutes not finding Duct Seal.  I personally looked in electrical, sealing, sheetrock, and other sections, and had Lowes salespeople look also.  Nothing was found.

So Wednesday night I ordered one package online for onstore pickup from the same store.  It could not be ordered through mail order, through truck deliver was available (I didn't check the cost, that typically costs $50, whereas one package of Duct Seal costs less than $3.)

On Friday I brought my order paperwork, and a picture from the Lowes website down to the store.  I also looked for myself in sealing and electrical again.  Finally, after 45 minutes, the duct seal was found by an employee somewhere near the floor in the electrical section and brought to the Customer Service desk.

Nobody knows what they actually have at Lowes (except the computer, and it often doesn't say where it is).

You would think "Duct Seal" would have something to do with A/C ducts, but the name is apparently historical, and the current purpose is to seal electrical boxes.  The key property of Duct Seal is that it won't harm vinyl, polyethylene, or other materials found inside an electrical box.  It's a clay-like material which is non-hardening.  Nevertheless, so few people actually do this that Duct Seal is not exactly flying off the shelf.





No comments:

Post a Comment