Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Storm Passed

I've continued keeping the doors open to Lyndenhurst to get good outgassing.  On Wednesday there was a slight chance of rain, but I didn't have time to close the doors before leaving for work at 4pm.  Around 9pm a very spotty and irregular storm came by, with 10-12mph winds from the SE which the doorway is vulnerable to (because it is facing east).  Where I work, 21 miles away, there was no rain at all until 12 midnight.

By 1pm, when I was driving home, the rain was so bad I couldn't see the road lines for my usual exit (and the lights were out).  So I had to drive two miles further, in the waterfall like rain, before I could turn around to go home.  I had almost as much trouble navigating the exit on the other side of the freeway.  With all this rain, I didn't bother to get the mail or to go out to Lyndenhurst to close the door.  From my bedroom window, using a flashlight, I could see that there was water on the floor, and it looked like it might go all the way back.

I waited and waited for the rain to blow over.  (It never seems to blow over while you are waiting for it to do so.  It immediately blows over when you would rather it keep going.)  Finally, it had reduce to mere light drizzle when I went out around 2:30 to close the door.  After I went out, of course, the rain stopped completely.

The tile floor was only damp for the first three rows of tile immediately in front of the door.  Everything else was perfectly dry.  No doubt it helps to have 18" overhang in front, and the house 22 feet to the east helps moderate winds from the east.
  

1 comment: