Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Some other builders, and thinking about fiber cement trim

Now is the season for finding the next builder.  A friend highly recommends one who sounds excellent, but I wonder how willing he will be to make drive 60 miles out and back every day.

One issue I've been thinking about a bit is the issue of trimming with fiber cement.  Now that the brick option is history (long lost in disappointing contractor experiences and cost overruns) I'm back to planning on fiber cement siding, which had been the plan for years since the shed idea first bubbled up in early 2009.

I have already replaced a starting portion of the very troubled fiberboard siding on my actual house with fiber cement.  I began doing that in 2002.  But when that was done, and when it was continued a bit by Ronnie in 2009, in both cases the old builder trim boards, which are some kind of wood, were retained.  So the front of my house and the chimney are covered with fiber cement siding but trimmed with wood.

I understand now that is fairly common.  Although fiber cement trim boards have been available for some time now, many if not most contractors are more comfortable using wood for trimming over fiber cement.
That was what I was expecting Ronnie to do, and my thoughts were best to let him do what he is comfortable and experienced with, rather than having him do his training on my job.

But now that I'm starting over with builder selection, maybe I should seek out the top fiber cement installers and get one to do fiber cement siding and trim as well.  I think that has some advantages, the fiber cement trim is engineered to go with the fiber cement panels, and may do so with less issues of paint deterioration and sealing.  I notice that the old rim boards in the front of my house quickly loose paint at the seams where they are joined or where they join the fiber cement board.  This may have something to do with differences in thermal expansion.


Here are some discussions of whether fiber cement trim is a good idea:


It's not clear that it is.


Anyway, one place to start might be with the installers recommended by JamesHardie, if one can be found that actually does general contracting as well, or at least framing.  Chances are they would know how to do the HardiTrim.  In my area, JamesHardie recommends 3 installers:

Structure Builders

Southwest Exteriors

Amazing Siding and Windows

No comments:

Post a Comment