Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, July 15, 2011

July 13: The Wheelbarrow Story

About 12:30pm on July 13, while still on break, Ronnie gave me a cell call.  I was in backyard checking things out.  Ronnie said that last time he was over, he had left one of his two wheelbarrows, and now it was missing, did I know anything about that.

No I didn't.

He asked me if I knew my neighbor to the left side.  Could he have gone into back yard and stolen wheelbarrow?  He saw him staring.

I figured Ronnie meant left side when looking at back of house.  On that side is a Mormon widower, with a retarded son in his 30's who has little to do and does sometimes stare.  If he meant the left side looking from front of house, on that side is a elderly latino gentleman of impeccable taste and character with a middle aged wife.  Both have always been super nice to me and I trust them completely, for example, when I go on vacation.  The widower called police a few years ago when somebody attempted to break into my house, setting off alarm, when I was on vacation.  The police did come out, and I wasn't sure whether it was because they got call from ADT or from neighbor, but it probably helped that police got two calls.  He gave me a full report when I got back to my hotel room and found lots of messages about it.  Because of his full reporting, I felt secure enough to finish my vacation.

I told Ronnie it was impossible that particular neighbor had stolen anything from my back yard.  I didn't think anybody would go into my back yard.

This either seemed like another attempt to get me to extort more money, or a fishing expedition to find out about my security system or cameras.  It especially makes me think I should not have Ronny back for any reason, even to just clean up, even to clean up the mess he made, which might not be easy to get him to do anyway.

Ronnie's two wheelbarrows were about the junkiest looking wheelbarrows you have ever seen, both looking decades old and having lots of caked on concrete.  For the first few weeks after June 1, he stashed them on side of house near utility service.  That was a bad location for me.  Because of soil erosion, there were exposed cable company cables sticking out of ground several inches I needed to bury.  I was worried with all his carelessly stashing tools (including a few of mine) and wheelbarrows in that corner, he would accidentally break cable.  I moved wheelbarrows and tools out of corner and asked him not to store them there anymore.  Then I dug trench and buried exposed cable in sand, which seems to be holding it down for now.  After slab pouring, I planned to put in sod and watering hose on timer, to be sure sod actually takes root in this hot weather.  I didn't want to add accessories to faucet until after concrete was poured, so that there was no question about access to water during those critical operations.  I had expected slab would be poured in early June so I could get on with getting grass to grow in the eroded soil in this critical area.  I had no idea slab wouldn't be poured until July 13.  Even back in mid May, Ronnie was promising that the engineering would be done and work would start in the next couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment