Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Beginning to think about flooring

Somehow in all my mental deliberations about the workshop (note new name I'm trying out), deliberations that included costly brick siding, full insulation, 24 gauge white coated galvalum metal roofing with hidden fasteners (if I can get it!), high end window and french door, and sound absorbing sheetrock, well through all of that, I never even thought about flooring.

I guess I don't think about floors that much.  All I remember thinking about was smooth concrete, more like a garage floor than a sidewalk.  Well now I've got something in between, and I don't think that's what I want to stick with.  Ronnie may have mentioned the concrete surface, back in May sometime.  I had completely forgotten about that part of the planning conversation until now.

The problem with a course concrete finish is that it's impossible to keep truly clean.  Crud builds up in the grooves over time, and the only kind of cleaning that gets it out is power washing.  And power washing is not something you want to do inside a building.

I first started thinking about flooring when a friend emailed me with her deliberations over the subject for her recently built art studio building.  She started with bare plywood floor because a concrete slab was impossible in her location for logistical reasons.  Something HAD to be done about that, especially given the presence of dogs.

In my case, bare concrete is a permissible if not optimal position.  Given that it's brushed, it's already anti-slip.  The main problem is that it's ugly, and will only get more ugly over time.  And dirty in some sense.

I guess now that's not acceptable.  And it probably wouldn't have been acceptable even with smoother floor like garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment