Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Before I forget

The door replacement has blown apart for now.  I am pretty sure I am not going to use the MDF door on the Queen's Room.  I'm strongly considering getting an IsoDoor Basic in the exact same 4 panel style instead, and adding an A/C return to the room so that the IsoDoor seals will routinely seal this .door completely every time.  That means real sound isolation all the time, positive ventilation all the time, and a real wood door not outgassing formaldehyde for 20 years.  And the current door will find a good use as the new door for the remodeled Gym to Garage passage--which would require an MDF fire rated door anyway.

Blogger is running very slow today again.  So I will keep this short.  Before the door replacement blew open, I was figuring out what kind of hardware to get.  That's still going to happen, once I decide on the door itself.

I liked the special edition Gatehouse forged brass passage knobset I am new using on Lyndhurst.  But that was purchased on clearance and is no longer available.  A comparable knobset, possibly the exact same manufacturer (Chinese), possibly updated, is made by Double Hill, for about $60.

The name brand competitor would be in the Baldwin Estate series.  (The cheaper Baldwin series just look like overpriced Kwikset, no need to buy Baldwin unless you are getting the Estate series IMO.)

The Baldwin I like is the 5020, Colonial, with the 5048 rose, sold as a package here.

Now when Baldwin displays the 5020, they show it with a different rose, the 5017.  After much digging, it appears that the 5048 rose sold above is larger than the one Baldwin shows.  They may do that to emphasize the appearance of the knob itself.  But on the actual door, a larger rose would probably be nicer.  So I decided the package above is the one I would go for.  I think the 5017 has a slightly more curvacious look, and not realizing the size difference, I preferred it first.  I think retailers prefer the 5048 since being larger it is more likely to hide defects or wear on the door itself, therefore fewer unhappy customers and fewer returns.

Another online store sells the Baldwin Estate pieces separately as well as in the packages.

Here's another forged brass knob, by Rockwell (which is imported).  Double Hill under a different name?

Another issue is the finish.  Baldwin offers both a Polished Brass option and a Lifetime Polished Brass option.  You can see how they look on the 5020 page.  They look pretty much identical and I would pay the extra money for the Lifetime version.  I do sometimes fear the use of things like nanotech particles, but I think the sputtering of the finish should not out-particle once it is cured and polished.


No comments:

Post a Comment