Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

La Crosse Wall Clock

Every time I replace the battery on my 12 inch round La Crosse Atomic Wall Clock, I'm perplexed about what to do.

Here's the video instruction.

What to do?  Nothing.*  The clock hands will move just a bit, then the clock will try to receive the radio signal.  If nothing is received, the clock will then set itself to 4, 8, or 12, and stay there until it does receive a radio signal, which might take up to 5 days.

Once the clock has received the signal, it will set itself to Pacific time.  You then press the time zone button and it will set to local time.

*Not always.  If the clock is still running before you replace the battery, you press down on the lever 20 times after removing the battery to discharge the circuitry.  Then you put in the new battery.

I have always tried to get the clock to do something by pressing the time zone button or using the lever.

I'm glad to have this clock.  But a perfect design would be more like this:

1) No lever you have to press 20 times to discharge.

2) A slide switch for time zone.  You set it once and never have to set when replacing battery.  Plus you always see what it is set to.  You don't have to wait for the clock to set before setting time zone.

3) Another slide switch for Daylight Savings Defeat.

4) Notice on back: please wait up to 5 days to complete first signal reception.

5) On inserting battery, time would go forward to 12:00:12 and stop until time signal received.  Brand new clock comes set to 12:00:00.

My 9 year old clock also has a peculiar defect on daylight savings time change days (which it has automatically kept up with thankfully).  At first, it changes the time correctly at 1 or 2 am.  But in the afternoon, it changes back to the now incorrect savings mode.  Then at 8pm (or 12 midnight, can't remember which) it sets itself correctly until the day of the next change.

I wonder if they have fixed that bug by now.  I got two round clocks in 2005 or maybe earlier and they both had the same bug.

BTW, I am a big fan of daylight savings time.  I like it as it is, or better yet I would make it year round and then double daylight savings time in the summer.  I care not what "God's" time is.  What is God's time zone anyway?








No comments:

Post a Comment