Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday June 1

Needed to go out early in the morning.  When I got back, since there was no longer rain in the forecast, I opened the workshop doors and window.  But just an hour or so later I noticed a tar or oily smell.  Right at front door, it was smelling worse outside than inside.  I closed and locked the door and window.  It later appeared the smell was just the diesel fuel used by my neighbor's gardener.  Though a house visible from the workshop door had it's wood roof deck replaced yesterday.  I need to be careful not to leave door open when roofing paper and shingles are installed, that is really stinky.  So I may be keeping door closed for awhile.

Friedrich customer engineer has confirmed that my X Star air condition recirculates all indoor air; it has no ventilation function.

I pulled some ivy in the back which was starting to climb the back wall of the workshop again.  Need to keep up with that, it can ruin the perfectionistic paint job that keeps Lindhurst from looking like a shack.

I took another look at the back for sizing up garden tool sheds.  Lindhurst is no more than 7 feet away from the power company transformer in the back s/w corner.  At minimum I will always need to leave space there, between transformer and building, to allow the front cover of the transformer to be removed by power company personnel.

Moving just north of the transformer, the distance from Lindhurst to back fence is 13 feet.  I need to allow comfortable walking room at least to transformer.

I was just thinking that a 7.5 x 7.5 shed, as I was looking at yesterday, would fit the space nicely, at the northwest corner of the building.  It overlaps the easment somewhat, but gives full access to the transformer and area around it.  Even walking up from the gate, utility people could see the transformer (I think that has psychological benefit, as compared with not even seeing transformer).  The door would face north for convenience.

The garden sink I've promised a friend would either have to be on side of building nearest transformer, which will be inconvenient and worrisome, or on north side of Lyndhurst.  I think I've already discussed this with her.  The north side location is convenient and also in nice afternoon shade.  The garden sink could also be up next to main house.

I measured gaps from concrete patio and walkway to house to be filled with self-leveling caulk I bought last month.  I need to get appropriate backing rods.

The patio gap is from 3.25 inches to 3 inches across 8 feet.  The front walkway is between 1.25 and 2 inches across 15 feet.  The backing rods are inexpensive but the shipping from Best Materials is not so I want to be sure I order the right things.  Update: ordered a whole set of backer rods from 1" to 4".  The small ones cost pennies so I got many extras for those, might use on sidewalk (not yet measured).   The items cost $58 and the shipping cost $58.

This weekend, I plan to wash all the shelves with my Dawn/Baking Soda solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment