Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, June 22, 2012

Finally tested the security camera

I've bought a Swann security camera kit almost a year ago, and had it installed about 9 months ago.  It monitors the side yard passage to the back yard, and also the windows facing the side yard.  I was inspired by Ronnie's seemingly bogus complaint that his old wheelbarrow had been stolen.  A friend joked, who would want that, it was the most sorry looking thing ever, half filled with old concrete.

But it took until this week, well I started on Sunday actually, for me to get around to seeing if I could actually play back any of my video recordings.  I had set it up for continuous record, or motion detect, but never tested it.  Obviously I should have tested the day after setup.  All this time, it might not have been working at all.

On Sunday, it wasn't working very well.  I could only play back the first 2 minutes out of each half hour!

I meant to call Swann on Monday, then on Tuesday.  Finally, on Tuesday night I dug up the actual manual, and found that the Search screen also has a "Playback" button.  You simply click that if you want continuous playback.  For some reason, Search only plays back two minutes.

The pictures are actually quite nice from the 580 security camera.  During the daytime, the color picture is nice.  At night, it's very sensitive, and I have a motion detect light also.  I can not only see people coming up the coming into the side yard, I can see cars and (very few) pedestrians on the street.

If I had a second camera on the other side, I could see anyone coming from either side.



No comments:

Post a Comment