Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rafter spacing uneven

On Friday morning, the Supervisor pointed out that the rafters had been installed to 24 inch centers, instead of specified 16, and weren't long enough to support 18" eaves, so both would be taken care of.

On Friday night, there appeared to be too many rafters even for 16 inch centers.  I was wondering if they had simply added new rafters, leaving the old ones in place, but on quick inspection, I couldn't tell.

I suppose this means the roof deck has even better support, which is a plus in my view, but the downside would be degrading the thermal performance by thermal bridging.  More of the under deck is filled with wood rather than more foam.

I texted the Supervisor on Saturday morning asking about whether this would be a problem for the insulation and he said he would have the foam people look at it.

I think it will work, but with slightly compromised energy efficiency.

Not a big deal, but not exactly what I wanted.  Worse was to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment