Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday December 9

Supervisor called me for a meeting at 9:45 am.  I had texted him at 3am that I wanted AC unit mounted 14 inches lower so I could easily reach controls.  He asked if AC had remote, and if so, suggested the approx 6 foot height he had chosen for AC was good, better air circulation and efficiency, as well as being out-of-the-way.  I decided after a bit to go along with that since AC does have remote.  Later I determined that AC has filter that needs cleaning, so I will need a stepladder for that.  I checked blogs and that seems like standard advice for wall units with remotes.  In fact my builders did what is now typically done, mount AC so top of unit and top of nearby window are at same level for neater visual appearance.  Some suggest AC should not be too close to ceiling to cause condensation on ceiling.  That is not a problem because I have 9 foot ceiling and insulated roof deck so attic (small anyway) is basically at room temp.  And I plan to keep room temperature controlled, not blasting AC just during occupancy.  I'd just as soon leave the controls set to one setting with timer.  That way, it won't be accidentally turned off or to some other setting.  If it's not cool enough, people can open windows.

Also noted he was getting the plywood for everything (as contract specified).  I asked about if there was an issue of the weight of the sheathing.  Framing supervisor then said it was no problem.  I also asked if sometimes Hardipanel was mounted w/o plywood sheathing.  He said that yes, that was sometimes done, but it was not the best way.  Plywood sheathing was the best way, but not always done because of cost, he said.

Supervisor had noticed that eaves had not been extended to 18 inches as contract specified, only 12 inches (common cheapo practice).  He also noticed that roof framing had not been done on 16 inch centers as specified, only to 24 inches (standard practice). So for both reasons, the roof framing would have to be redone.

Strangely, my cheapo house seems to have 18 inch eaves.  It has slanted soffit however.  Framing supervisor asked if I wanted it that way.  I said whichever way is best, and he said flat was best.  (So many issues I've never even though of, after already having read 10 books worth of internet posts and written my own book as well.)



The Fleetwood window was carried by supervisor and one worker from junk room inside house to back yard where the box was finally opened.  It is beautiful and flawless.  Screen was removed and put back in junk room, window was measured by framing supervisor.

I needed about 3 hours more sleep at that point.  I rested at least 3 hours but didn't sleep particularly well with all the sawing and nailing noises.  But I was very glad that so much progress was being made.  By 4pm the building had the sheathing and the fascia board was being installed.  The plywood is beautiful and looks like it would be decent siding on it's own.  The little building looks like a chapel from the bedroom window.  I've come up with a new nickname, "the museum."

I saw the french doors arrive sometime in mid afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment