Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Breach of Contract

I had been very pleased on Friday night, but on Saturday morning, when I opened my blinds, I was horrified to see that instead of the contract specified 30# felt going up on the sheathing, Lowes brand housewrap was being used.

A little research (I got samples) determined that Lowes housewrap is not Tyvek or something like that.  It is a perforated house wrap.  Generally this is considered inferior to name brand products like Tyvek and Typar which use engineered plastics.  However, right on the Lowes website, it says "meets code".

I had chosen felt because it is a time proven material that many contractors online say lasts longer than the plastic wraps (75 years, for example) and which many contractors choose to use on their own homes, if not the ones they build.

I called the Supervisor and he said he would make a call to change it.  Seeing no change after 45 minutes, I called again.  He said he would call again.  Then I noticed that on the north side they were putting up felt on top of the Lowes wrap.  I'm not sure that's for the best.  They stopped using the felt, however, after wrapping around to the west side.

So the result is the north side has felt over plastic wrap, and the other 3 sides have just the plastic wrap, so far as I can determine.  I took a careful look at the south side, and it's clear because no felt comes around the corner, it has plastic only.  I didn't get a chance to look at the west side before it was trimmed, but I suspect it has felt just in the corner that wraps to the north side.



1 comment:

  1. Maybe you shouldn't watch sausage being made. Ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete