Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, April 26, 2013

Doors

I talked to Tom on Thursday and said I was thinking of just doing small bedroom door first, in late May, and then do master bedroom door when I remodel master bedroom, around July or so.  That sounded good to him.  I also told him I had purchased the material for stuffing behind the door jambs.

Busy week, I went to dentist for cleaning and exam on Tuesday, edged the front yard on Wednesday, got an eye exam that same day, then picked up the new glasses on Friday.  At work I was pressing forward to make a major software update on Monday.  I called Allen & Allen on Thursday, good thing, because it turned out they couldn't currently order Jeld-Wen doors as I had been planning to do.  Instead, they now have TruStile and WoodHarbor doors.  I checked those out online on Thursday night and Friday.  They are very impressive!

But before that, I went to Home Depot after dinner on Friday and got quotations for two Jeld-Wen doors.  Neither one seemed exactly what I wanted, but the choices available through the new Jeld-Wen ordering program seemed very limited.  I wanted a fire rated wood residential door.  But in residential doors, there did not appear to be a fire-rated option.  So one quotation has a plain flush interior solid core door, and the other quotation has a commercial interior fire rated door with metal jamb.  The first is quite inexpensive for a custom order door, the latter is more than I expected to pay.  The commercial door had lots of hinge and hardware options, far more than the residential door.

On Friday I got down to Atlas Floors on time to pick up the new Armstrong Luxe Plank for the hallway.  But I hardly thought about trying to get down to Allen & Allen before they closed at noon for the state independence holiday.

TruStile does not seem to offer flush style doors.  They are all too stylish for that.  But you can get fire rated doors in any style (so it seems to claim on their website) up to 90 minutes, and the 90 minute fire door has an impressive STC rating of 38 when equipped with a set of seals they list on their sound control page.  That was the best of any of their 1 3/4 width doors, and better than any Jeld-Wen rating I have seen (and the Jeld-Wen ratings seemed to be for the door only, not the entire door assembly--which would likely be far less).  So even with regard to sound control, TruStile seems much more serious in their product line than Jeld-Wen.  We will see hopefully on Monday when I go down to Allen & Allen what the prices are like.


No comments:

Post a Comment