Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Doors: 30 x 80 x 4 9/16

I downloaded the Isodoor order form and found it requires specification of door jamb width, and there weren't any preset answers.  So I got out two large 1/16" graduated rulers to measure.

I was thinking 4 1/2 but it seemed clear the width was greater than that, at least by 1/32.  When I did the most careful measurement I could with two rulers (holding one flat perpendicular to the back edge of the jamb) it seemed to be 4 9/16.  That seemed funny so I decided to scan online.

Sure enough, 4 9/16 is the sort-of standard (no one wants to call it a standard like the 80 inch height) of door jambs for 2x4 framed walls with 1/2 drywall (typical).  And you can easily see how the 2x4 (which is 3 1/2 inches deep) and the two layers of drywall would add up to 4 1/2.  But why is the jamb 4 9/16 then?  I don't know, but I am pretty sure 4 9/16 is the specification I need anyway.

Here's a blog in which one guy says his local home center only stocks 4 9/16 and 6 9/16 (obviously, the latter is for 2x6 framing).

Now, this came after a couple hours of confusion.  I found several descriptions of how to measure door jamb width that seemed to suggest you start on one side of the wall, and then to the inside edge of the moulding on the other side.  Well that would be correct for a door with moulding only on one side.  I found a 30 second video where the height and width of the door are measured with the pre-existing door jamb, then the jamb depth is measured from one side of the wall with the jamb removed--very confusing.


No comments:

Post a Comment