Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Belden 7915A

This looks like the coax cable to get for my home network, Belden 7915A.  It's double shielded, but some say has better shield performance than most quad shielded.  But it's also nice and flexible and good for wiring distribution systems.  It's got full 3Ghz bandwidth, adequate for satellite systems and in fact preferable to quad shielded for that application because of low DC resistance.  It lacks the 4.5Ghz bandwidth of Belden's precision video cables like 1694A, but I can't see why I would need that, and 1694A is twice as expensive.  The most likely use for these cables is composite video which has a bandwidth of about 10Mhz, about 300 times less than 3Ghz.

Here's an interesting discussion in which several people have wired video distribution systems with 7915A and love it.

Update:

I've now ordered the cables, I'm getting mostly 7915A in 75 and 50 foot lengths.  For the run between master bedroom and kitchen, I've decided to up it to 1694A, and go with 60 feet in case 50 is too short. I ordered the 7915A from BroadbandUtopia and the 1694A from BlueJeansCable.


No comments:

Post a Comment