Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

No Mosquitoes Inside on Wednesday morning

I got home from work on Wednesday morning at 1:00 AM.   I closed the garage door using the remote in my car as soon as I had finished pulling in the car.  Usually I close the door only after I have gotten out of the car and shut off the security system, but why leave the garage door open longer than necessary?  Leaving the garage door open allows bugs, possibly including mosquitoes, to enter.

I then decided not to open the back door of my house (a sliding glass door that exits the kitchen and enters the patio).  I have a very bright 27 watt fluorescent security light above that door which always attracts lots of bugs.  I'm now thinking that when I go out there at night, and then come back into the house, mosquitos in the vicinity follow me back in.  I reprogrammed my Rainbird controller in the garage to water the trees at 3am for 15 minutes, and enjoyed watching through the bedroom and kitchen glass when it ran.  This was the first watering since the rainfall on early Sunday morning; I skipped the Tuesday AM watering.  Since I am now worried about mosquitoes, I appreciated greatly not having to go into the back yard to do the watering by hand.

I also put a towel underneath the front door of my house.  The gasket under the door is in very poor condition, and conceivably a mosquito could fly underneath the door.

But in order to get the mail, I did go out and return through the front door, which has the same kind of bug attracting security light as in back.  I could do better on that by getting the mail before I pull the car into the garage.

It occurs to me now that the security lights front and back are a key issue in allowing bugs and mosquitos to enter house.  It would be good to redesign them somehow so that bugs do not swarm near the doors of the house.  Here are some ideas:

1) Get new lights that don't attract bugs so much.  This much require new fixtures also.  I haven't seen anything yet that I'd like.  What I'd like is an LED light with brightness equivalent to what I get with a 27W fluorescent, with automatic lightsensing switch.  This would run on household AC.

2) Get new lights in a different location(s) so the lights by the doors can normally be turned off.  If a new light is positioned at least 10 feet from the door, I don't think bugs would be as much of a problem.  Then I could also put mosquito traps in between the new lights and the doors.

3) Put the door lights on an X10 switch so they can be turned off a few minutes before using the doors.  Then, at 9 in the morning, my X10 central controller can turn them back on again, ready to provide security the next day.  The problem with an ordinary switch is that I always forget to turn it back on until days or even weeks later.

For the front and back security lights, I do like always-on lighting, which I believe provides better deterrence than motion detector based.  Motion detector lights,  especially the solar powered kind, are great in a pinch, for temporary lighting, but not as good for deterrence I think.




1 comment:

  1. "Hercules automation is one of the leading brands in the market for Fabricated items, Boom Barriers, Garage Door , Rolling Shutters and a pioneer in the field of Remote Control Doors and Gates in south India for over a decade."


    "Automatic, Automatic Garage Door, Automatic Gates, Garage Door Manufacturers in India, Rolling Shutters Manufacturers in India, Boom Barriers Manufacturers in India, Motion Sensor Glass Door Manufacturers in India."


    for more details
    please contact
    http://www.herculesautomation.com/

    ReplyDelete