Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

synopsis of recent work done jan-feb

First week in January, the roof was installed over two days, and then the spray foam was installed over two days.  Second week in January there was time for beneficial outgassing from the foam.  Sheetrock work began by Friday, a week after foaming.  Sheetrock was followed by sand and float, then initial interior painting, giving the first reasonable looking interior.  Then the tile floor was installed over two days, and I returned surplus tiles and thinset to home depot on Sunday.  Then I made the second to the last payment to contractor.  Then the carpenter installed shelves and mouldings.  This took 2 days (and it was good I was watching on the first one to get it done right).  Then there were 3 days of interior touch-up paining and new paint for shelves, mouldings and door.  Then there were two days of removing construction debris from yard, including debris left by previous contractor, along with additional touch up for window ledge because carpenter had damaged it slightly before I decided NOT to have a window sill.  Then the cement below the french door threshold, which took two days.

When I made the second-to-last payment of $1200 to general contractor, I was concerned about a huge amount of remaining work, including shelves, mouldings, touch-up painting, A/C installation, yard cleanup, and touch up.  He said not to worry, there was only about a day's worth of additional work.  By my count, it was actually 2+3+2+1+2 or 10 days work, by 1-3 contractors, though most days only a few hours work was done.

Anyway, I am glad my long running fears about how this was going to work out have been unfounded.  The contractor did actually finish all the contracted work, and they did it all as specified, with only one allowance for work not done exactly as specified which I decided to leave unchanged (they said they would have changed it).  Big fears that I would not get a "real" standing seam roof, or that the back "loft" shelf would be inadequate, or the yard cleanup would not get done, have all proven not applicable.  I still have some concern about chemical outgassing from the spray foam insulation mainly, but it seems like it is going to be OK, especially with my extra sealing.  The primary smell inside now is from the oil based paint used on door and mouldings, and that smell is fading.




No comments:

Post a Comment