Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bamboo in pots, other ideas

I still have lots of spots in back yard that need plants or something like plants (statues?) to provide better privacy.   I already have privacy fencing at the maximum allowed 6 feet, but it is almost useless because the property lines run in depressions and the coutours of the neighborhood mean that much of my back yard is visible to neighbors and even people on streets.  Plants could be planted just inside the fence, or plants could be put in very large pots.  One problem with planting directly in the ground is that I have easements or wiring to house on all sides of the backyard.  Bamboo is a tall plant known for making good privacy screens, and it can be grown in large pots, say 22 or 32 inches high.  There are two kinds of bamboo, clumping and running.  Best stick with clumping varieties, I don't want this taking over my backyard on a rainy month!

Current plan is to have pavers to make an approximately 45 foot walkway from the north side of patio to the west side of workshop.  Especially at the workshop side, I plan to use extra pavers to make a small patio (5x6 feet or so) right in front of the workshop. Similarly the patio connection to the walkway could have a slight widening.  My guess is that 100 or so 16x16 pavers would work.  I like the kind with small stones embedded in the top.  For most of the walkway, the pavers would be two across, for 32 inches total width.

A walkway made with pavers is supposed to be buried in the ground.  You are supposed to dig a hole for the entire walkway, I believe the recommendation is 5 inches deep.  It then gets 2 inches of base gravel and sand.  Wood is put around the perimeter.  You can imagine this is all quite a lot of work, and indeed I've seen mentioned that paver walkways cost about $5-$15 per square foot.  My 100 feet of 16x16 pavers represents about 200 square feet, and it would cost about $3000 to get a walkway like that professionally installed.  I can't imagine doing all that work either.  By the way, a concrete walkway would be about the same price, and probably cheaper than a fancy paver walkway.

I'm thinking about taking the cheap and easy way.  Just get the pavers delivered to the front driveway, and then slowly (over days) carry them back to build the aforementioned walkway simply by laying the pavers directly on top of the ground, which has some (mostly worn down) grass on it currently.

It won't be as flat or neat as a professionally installed walkway.  So I'm still wondering about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment