Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Monday, February 27, 2012

Finis

As agreed, the supervisor arrived at 11am on Tuesday and gave me the warranty paperwork for the roof (FWIW, the coating has a 35 year warranty).  I then gave him the final check for $1145.00.  He asked if we could talk about the experience, and I did so with him on the patio a few minutes later.  The contractor's 1 year warranty on all workmanship does not apply to the cement beneath the door threshold, which the contractor has declared to be non-standard.  (I think it should be the standard.)

He asked me about my overall feeling about the project and I said I was happy about the way things turned out.  Everything went well, I said, except for the difficulties in the beginning.

He asked me about communication, and I said that communication was one of the best features of this project (text and emails).  At the same time, it could be said that a communications difficulty was behind difficulties in the beginning.

The supervisor told me his company has fired the project manager on my project.  He was the one responsible for mistakes made in the beginning, also for not doing the site cleanup earlier.  I had no particular reaction to that.

He asked me about my biggest concerns.  I mentioned outgassing from the spray foam, and the use of oil based paint possibly on top of latex.  The supervisor admitted that oil based finish paint had been applied on top of latex primer (the latex is a self-priming paint) on the interior shelves.  This happened to the shelves only (the rest either got one or the other).  He said the painter told him this primer was OK for use with the oil based paint, and if there is any problem, like peeling, they will fix it.

So ended my general contractor experience.  But the work on my workshop, my backyard, and other aspects of my small estate will continue and continue to be described on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment