Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Sunday, August 16, 2026

All the Trees in Back Yard

In the 14 years that have gone by since I planted them, I've often wondered what trees I planted in back yard.  I made lots of posts when I was planting them, but no one post shows a map of all the trees.  I made that today, currently missing just one tree that I haven't identified yet.

This is a rough picture as yet, but I feel a need to save it here for future reference until I make a better one.

Top of the diagram is the west.

The situation has dramatically changed since 2012.  The Monterrey Oak has grown very big and wonderful, but has a large branch encroaching on my two sheds which now needs to be cut down.  The yard is highly shaded on the north and south sides by neighbors trees, including a big Elm in the southern neighbor's back yard, and a row of hackberries along both southern and northern fences.  I'm having those hackberries trimmed back as much as possible to the property line, they shade and choke out my trees.  The tree trimmers basically never touch the Elm, they advise against doing so except where it comes too close to my house, it's now shading the southwest corner of my house from high up.  The northern neighbors hackberries have been encroaching on my house roof (I last had them trimmed them back 2 years ago, it needs to be an annual thing) and wrecked one of my two whip antennas and I'll have to get an insured ladder specialist to replace the broken whip antenna as it's too high for me to reach safely.  My own Vitex trees also need to be greatly cut back as they are encroaching on Lyndhurst Garden Shed.

The Viburnum next to southwest corner of house struggled to get through the Texas Deep Freeze in 2022, never fully recovered because of shading, and ultimately died as a tiny skeleton of it's onetime glory a few years earlier.   The once struggling olive tree has grown gigantic by growing away from the fence and capturing much of the southern back yard where it can still get sunlight, I trimmed it back to keep from smashing bedroom window in big storms.  My clumping palms have not spread but have gotten very big.  Even with all the trees I have a few privacy gaps, (1) near the unknown tree on the west next to the bamboo which has grown mostly away from the bamboo and was once erroneously trimmed by trimmers (so I don't have them trim there anymore) and has only slowly filled in that space because of shading from the bamboo (which I don't want to trim back because it also provides privacy), and (2) where the now missing viburnum was.  And in the winter because the olive loses its leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment