Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, April 9, 2015

No Splash Guard Needed!

The remodeled King's Bath is fantastic!  And now in one more way!  No Splash Guard is needed, water simply doesn't get through the gap between the shower curtain and the tile wall.  On Wednesday I took a long and vigorous shower including both shampoo and conditioner, and there was not a drop of water.  With the 4 inch tile baseboard on top of vinyl flooring, it would much matter anymore if there were a few drops…but there are none!

I had been expecting a Splash Guard to be needed based on all my previous experience, and I had purchased several different kinds.  Prior to remodeling, the baseboard on the right side of the tub (where the spray head is in this shower) so much water had gotten through the gap that the baseboard was rotted out, and even the sheetrock above the baseboard was damaged.  In the Queen's Bath, a puddle consistently forms on the spray head side after taking a shower.  And this is despite using a (not very well attached) splash guard there.

I think this is because of the curved shower rod, and how the ends of the rod curve back in so the front edge of the curtain hangs vertically down into the inside of the tub.  In my previous tubs I mounted the shower curtain rod just in front of the front edge of the tub, to make a more roomy shower.  This was my mother's way of doing this from way back.  In fact, when we moved into this house in 1992, I first installed the shower rods more inside the tub so the curtain was hanging straight down, simply because that looked right to me.  My mother immediately had me change it to be on the outside edge, and that seemed fine, I really didn't know how it was supposed to be done, so I did it that way and forgot about it until now.

I'm lucky it ended up this way.  Actually, I had been planning to mount the curved rod about 2 more inches out.  But I had to move it back so that the rod would generously clear the high cabinet above the toilet and just in front of the shower.  I wanted generous clearance so a damp shower curtain wouldn't be rubbing against the cabinet.

Now while it hangs vertically, the shower curtain doesn't actually come right up to the wall.  There is still a half inch or so gap.  But it still works.  I'm thinking I may use a couple of shower curtain clips on the wall to hold the curtain tighter to the wall, even though they don't seem to be needed.  But I won't be using the Tidee-Tubb splash guard that is glued to the top of the tub.  The Tidee-Tub looked like the best of the lot, and capable of handling the lack of squareness between the tub top and the wall which defeats the generic slash guard I got at Lowe's for the Queen's Bath.  The Tidee-Tub has two pieces that adjust to accommodate any slight wall tilt (and they all tilt, strangely enough).  But why glue something to the top of your high end Kohler bathtub when it isn't needed?

No comments:

Post a Comment