Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Kitchen Doors at Richelieu

My kitchen cabinet doors below the sink have been horrid since I bought the house 24 years ago.  The cheap builder grade "wood" is heavily stained.  For the longest time I figured I simply had to remodel the kitchen, new countertops, cabinets, etc.  But even then, I might end up with new Home Depot grade wood cabinets, not much if any better intrinsically than what I started with.  And the kitchen remodel would be another $10,20,30k expense.  Simply disconnecting and reconnecting all the plumbing would be expensive, and that's just the start.

So then I though about covering the existing cabinet doors with plexiglass, polycarbonate, or something like that in a white color.  I could even glue cut pieces (if nicely beveled) onto the existing doors.

Anyway, with some random browsing thinking about this I discovered Richelieu Hardware, who sells a whole variety of Cabinet Doors !  (I could just remove the existing cabinet doors and bolt on the new ones!  Hurray!)

They have wood, polyester, stainless steel, Brillante (some kind of plastic), Aluminum frames with glass or plexiglass inserts, Thermoform, and Harmony.

I like the idea of some kind of hard material (like glass) that you know can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth, that stuff can always be removed from later even after hardening, and that wet rag won't hurt.  Stained (as in factory stained) wood fancy cabinet doors makes no sense to me.

I like the aluminum framed doors with either acid washed or Kadricolor glass.  I wonder how the eye catching Fuchsia would look in my kitchen.

My dream version, however, would be frameless, as the aluminum frame is just another thing for dirt to get stuck on or under.

No comments:

Post a Comment