Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, January 3, 2014

Who Built the Railroad?

At a party at my house a guest first asked what I had done recently.  I replied that I had built two buildings in the back yard, and remodeled two bedrooms and the hallway.  You must be remarkably talented she said.  I smiled, feeling somewhat proud of my accomplishments.  She continued, can I hire you to remodel my bedrooms?  Well of course I hired others to do the work, I replied.  Oh, she said in mock surprise.  Well what did you actually do this year?  Where do you work?

I was taken aback by this, all the more because I myself have wondered a lot about these sorts of questions.  It seems to me that quite a lot people take credit for the work of others.  Especially owners and managers pride themselves on doing things actually done in largest part by anonymous workers.

But it also seemed pretty cruel in this case.  I was not merely the officer signing the check drawn on a corporate account from government funds, like a caricature 19th century railroad baron.  I might have put little (but not none!) sweat into these projects, but a lot of blood and tears, going far beyond what one might call "my money," which itself was no insignificant contribution (and earned largely by "me" if I say so myself).  Arguing for my pride, I'd point out the following things I did.

1) I had the ideas of what to do, which started only as vague concepts but ultimately were worked out in great detail (e.g., the acoustically chosen exact dimensions for Lyndhurst).  I was the visionary and the architect and designer of these projects.  As those reading this blog have seen (and even they haven't seen everything) I did a lot of design in far greater detail than most homeowners (though I would give credit to other remodeling homeowners who generally are responsible for the vision and many if not most of the details of their projects also).

2) I researched materials and methods.  Mostly online.  These formed the basis of what I asked to get estimates for, or later supplied to contractors.  In every case, I went way beyond the average in looking for the best materials and methods, such as the methods for building soundproof walls, or using acoustic sealant.  In many cases I provided contractors both with the materials and detailed instructions for using them.

3) I chose the contractors.  This is no mean feat.  I read over information in Angies list and also solicited and received recommendations by friends.  For some projects, I got multiple estimates and thought hard about which contractor would be best.  (Cheapest is not something I aim for.)  For most contracted projects I got estimates in advance and thought about them.

4) I scheduled and coordinated the work.  Much work had to be done during hours I would otherwise have been sleeping, getting ready for work, or working.  So I had to shift my sleeping hours, arrange to take days off work (and fortunately I earn 4 weeks of vacation a year), and negotiate scheduling with the various contractors.

5) I directed and supervised the work.  Now my style of supervision is mostly hands off, on the principle that people do their best work when undisturbed.  But I did insist, at times, on things being reworked, or done my way from the beginning.  Other times, I had things re-done by others.

6) I prepared for the work.  This is actually pretty big, as often I cleaned up the area beforehand, or removed existing wiring, and the like.  It's even bigger if you include things like mowing the lawn beforehand (which I did specifically on many occasions in expectation of contract work, though I would have had to do so shortly after anyway).

7) I did some work myself, including some re-work.  One of the better examples of this is the outlet and ceiling fan box sealing I did, inside Lyndhurst and inside my house.  I also installed the door handles and deadbolt for Lyndhurst.

8) I did considerable cleanup afterwards.  Some contractors were especially messy, even fouling my recyclable bin.

9) I made the payments.  I paid for everything, of course, from my own cash and/or credit, which I earned through other work.  I also juggled my accounts to make large payments possible when needed.

10) I documented my ideas and accomplishments on this blog, though most was not well documented.  What you've seen here is only a fraction of the body and hopefully some of the spirit.

11) I initiated these projects.  I desired them, I called people, and I said yes.  I was the responsible for these projects happening AT ALL.  I was the free will, free spirit, etc.  These projects would not have happened without me, just me, whereas most paid work would have been done even without a particular worker, though perhaps not as well, or in the same way, and similarly, these projects would have probably happened even without the same particular contractors, so they don't have much responsibility for their mere existence vs none at all, that all falls on me.  OTOH, my spirit, whatever it is that initiated these projects and said yes, is in turn influenced by the spirits of many others, including those of people whose homes I have visited over the years, online sources, etc.  And all this was made possible by contributions of all others, to things including systems of money and construction, as well as the particular ones used, who in turn were even shaped by their competitors and enemies, etc.  So ultimately everyone influences everything, but in vastly varying ways and degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment