Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Some relief

I hardly bother to look through my boxes of manuals anymore.  Instead, I go straight to the web and try to find them online.  So I did for the service manual for my Sony PS-X800 turntable.  Unfortunately the online copy I got from Vinyl Engine has critical bits cropped and possibly altogether missing.  I've had to locate the important VR106 myself.

Which I had done, just before thinking I had blown my Fluke meter.  Then I got the manual for my Fluke meter, and found out how to remove the fuses.  I removed the "easy" fuse today, which is officially done using a probe tip (they make it impossible to do with your finger nail).  The spring loading caused the fuse to shoot up a foot and land about a foot away.  Fortunately it didn't land inside the open guts of the Sony turntable, but instead on the soft couch.

I figured I'd test the fluke fuse using my other fluke meter, which is a slightly cheaper but almost contemporaneous D82.  I found the other meter in the main Scandia rack inside the laboratory, with it's battery removed (good idea for rarely used items--and why can't they make batteries that never leak anyway).  Fine, I had just removed another 9 volt battery from my RF field tester, so I used that.  But then I quickly discovered that the battery clip for the D82 had one broken connection.  I'd have to get the soldering iron out to fix it.

Oh what a tangled web.  But I figured out another method.  I used my radio shack battery tester, set to 9 volts, and put the fuse in-circuit so-to-speak.  Using this method I measured 9.4 volts either with or without the fuse.  So the fuse was actually good.

I put the fuse back in the 8060 (careful not to launch it again, as I almost did trying to push it all the way back in), and re-tested AC and DC voltage nulls (they both went to zero).  So I "fixed" the meter, most likely it had never been broken.

Back to the turntable I tested the voltage which is supposed to be 5 volts DC.  I measured 0.004 volts DC, possibly zero.  I measured about 2.5 volts AC.  I'm going to try the VR 106 adjustment later, but this isn't promising.  The turntable may require a power supply rebuild.

Meanwhile, the other issue, and now more pressing, is the cycling of my living room UPS.  If I had the alarm turned on, it would be ringing all the time because of the apparently dysfunctional battery.  I *could* swap in the battery from a 3rd unit I have, which has never been taken out of the factory box, inside Lyndhurst.  I went out to Lyndhurst and determined the location by determining all the places it wasn't.  Then I could see that at the bottom of a pile of banker's boxes in the corner, hidden behind all the other junk around it, is another box which clearly isn't a bankers box but is supporting all of them.  That HAS to be it.

Seeing as how it would take maybe 2 hours of work to get at the box, remove the unused (and rather old) battery from the unit, then put everything back as it was (actually, this might be 3 hours of work) I'm a little more inclined to simply buy a new battery.  I found an expensive (possibly better than new) battery online.  After an hour of searching I found only one vender, and not surprisingly the most expensive one, which listed a replacement set of batteries for my Belkin PureAV AVU1500 unit.  The Belkin instructions tell you not to disassemble the battery unit, but that will apparently have to be done to replace the actual batteries inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment