Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Doorstops

Today I ordered genuine Baldwin Estate 4045 3" Wall Bumper (aka doorstop) and a Baldwin Estate 4050 3.75" Wall Bumper, both in Lifetime Polished Brass (just like my Baldwin door knobs).  The Baldwin doorstops seem to have fairly uncommon (in high end doorstops) feature of a hex portion of the stem which makes it easier to tighten.  Of course there is also the advantage that it will match my Baldwin doorknobs in finish, brand, and prestige.

I also looked at many of the Whittington doorstops over at Signature Hardware but I only liked the Pawn style (which I visually liked only slightly better than the Baldwin's), and I figured it would be easier to get replacement bumpers in the future for a genuine Baldwin product, and the Whittington's lacked the hex stem portion.  Another plus for the Worthington's was the slightly wider 1.75" base, I fear the 1.18" base of the Baldwin's may put too much stress on my cheap drywall, but, I will hope for the best.  The Baldwin Estate doorstops were cheaper than Whittington, but the difference may have been made up in the rather high shipping charge (they note in a disclaimer that the actual UPS fee might differ).

It's hard to figure whether I'll need the 3" or the 3.75" since that depends on where I'm actually able to mount the stop, which depends on where the studs are.  The door knobs are 2.5" but the doors on the hinge sides are much farther out from the wall than that (up to 5 inches).  If I had to mount the doorstop at a stud only 16 inches from the hinge...it would certainly need to be longer than 3 inches, and the next stud, at 32" would be too far out. So I bought both sizes.  The shorter ones have the advantage that less stress is put on the wall due to leverage, etc., and given my (cheap) walls that's a big plus.  So if a shorter one can be used, it should be used.  I'm thinking I may be able to use the shorter one in the Queen's room (where the non-load-bearing wall has 24" oc studs, a mere 6" from the end of the 30" door) but then the longer one in the King's room (where the load bearing wall has 16" studs, which would put the closest stud about midway on the door, and the next stud past it).

Here's one of the Whittington styles that just looks too much like you know what.  I liked the Pawn style better than the plain-vanilla Baldwin's, but none of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment